free website stats program changing out to the New scream'n eagle cam plate | Harley Davidson Forums

changing out to the New scream'n eagle cam plate

I have heard pro's and con's about changing my 2002 88B motor from the spring-loaded cam tensioners to the hydraulic cam tensioners with the new Screaming eagle cam plate kit and new oil pump. Now I have been told that the outer cam bearings are the same size as the OEM. And the oil pump is much better for oil flow as well, 25% better flow. and along with the cam tensioners not wearing themselves out with better pressure on the cam chains. which I think might be great to upgrade too. But I also heard that the Screaming eagle cam plate kit is junk? I guess this is Harley Davidson fix or an upgrade. does anyone know about this kit?

First, the SE cam plate is not "junk"; I run it in an all bore 107 motor that makes 124TQ/110HP. A stock TC88 motor makes about 60HP/70TQ so your TC88 will be fine with the SE cam plate.

There are two OEM options to upgrade the early model cam chest.
PN 25284-11 includes billet cam plate, pump, outer and inner tensioner and front roller chain and sprocket for '02-'06 models. The early OEM Morse chain is retained to run OEM cams. No outer bearings; bronze bushings.
PN 25282-11 includes billet cam plate and higher capacity pump which is designed to upgrade '06 Dyna and '07 other models. To make the complete conversion to the '07 up models would require the additional purchase of the hydraulic tensioners, inner/outer roller chains and sprockets as well as conversion cams. '07 up cams have larger inner cam bearings than the early models which requires conversion cams and does limit cam selection.

I don't know that your goal is but if it is higher capacity oil flow and scavenging, Daytona makes a pump that will provide the same flow and scavenging as the upgraded SE pump. The early OEM tensionners can be replaced with a set of CYCO tensioner pads that will last much longer than OEM. A DIY project and much cheaper solution than either of the above.

Well at least you gave good information and I thank you and appreciate your time responding to the post,

Thanks Joel. I think I know why Grumpy hit and run. He and I exchanged emails shortly after he joined the forum. I don't recall what the dust up was about but he got his feelings hurt by something I said and I never heard from him again; at least he got his question answered. Either of the SE cam plate upgrades are a worth while upgrade, it just depends on which cams you want to run; OEM style or conversion; that's a whole new discussion. Some disagree that the "hybrid" conversion is a true upgrade because the Morse chain is retained; a roller won't work with OEM style cams.

I have had disagreements with members of other forums, HDF and HTT, but we just agree to disagree and move on; seems Grumpy can't do that.:rolleyes:

Back