free website stats program Changing back tire | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing back tire

Dublin Dave

Is the changing of a back tyre a job left to the dealer, or can one go about this oneself.
Got a price for a change, after stage 1 upgrade, and will need another 400 euro,s , which is 415 us dollars, seems a bit rich.well able to change a truck tire, but what do i need to look out for on the harley?

Thanks again,
Dave..

Is the changing of a back tyre a job left to the dealer, or can one go about this oneself.
Got a price for a change, after stage 1 upgrade, and will need another 400 euro,s , which is 415 us dollars, seems a bit rich.well able to change a truck tire, but what do i need to look out for on the harley?

Thanks again,
Dave..

Hi Dublin Dave, do you have the means to talk the rear tire off? That price is high due to the fact they have to store/insure and spend about an hour or two of repair stall time to do the deed and shop overhead is what it is. :wall

Carry-in price from the dealer (tire & rim off the bike) will be the tire plus labor, ranging from FREE to $50 USD to balance and mount depending on if you buy the tire from them or bring in your own NEW one (some do not like to mount tires that are not their's), and given liability and guarantee issues you probably see why. Buying them, mounted and balanced at your favorite dealer - OFF THE BIKE is the best way to go, if you feel capable of dismounting the assembly off your Harley. :newsmile020:

You should get a motorcyle "lift"; basic ones from Harbor Freight, Kragen Auto Supply and others cost about $59 to $99 USD...review the tread/posts about a certain --yellow Craftsman Motorcycle Lift...Smitty has pix of the Pro-version $180 USD, or do the tried and true method using the jiffystand and blocks of 2x4s stacked in stages. :small3d036:

If you have the HD service manual, it is a pretty simple job. If you don't have the HD service manual, you will be searching for torque specs and such. Not too hard to do, if you can lift the bike up and have torque wrenches and a bit of skill.

My advice, buy everything you need to do you own work, including the HD service manual for your bike and save a bunch of money in the long run.

Yeah,sounds like a plan dismounting the wheel from the bike myself. But i might get some looks arriving at the dealer with the wheel without the bike, all they want is the dollars....i need a degree in hagling to get a better price!!:newsmile065:

yes you can do it your self.
However things to consider you must get it lined up correctly and get belt adjusted right.
All things you can do but are not easy the first time out.
For me the dealer is cheap new rear tired installed is 200 dollars US I can live with that.
I am trying to find the posts on doing it as soon as I do I will get them up.

Cheers smitty,
200 dollars not bad at all, i will shop around other dealers, tire fixers, but they might turn away at the sight of the harley, not a chain drive, i can imagine with the weight of the bike i will be using a fair amount of tire in the future, so would look at setting something up in the garage(shed):D

Yeah,sounds like a plan dismounting the wheel from the bike myself. But i might get some looks arriving at the dealer with the wheel without the bike, all they want is the dollars....i need a degree in hagling to get a better price!!:newsmile065:

At my house, my gal is the one who knows how to hagle; seriously, get the service manual (you can get the CD of the Service Manual from "Gary" $15 USD else where on HDT Maintainance & Service Tips Section and see if this approach works for you).

Here is a synopsis of how to remove the back tire -

Removing Rear Wheel - Harley Davidson Community

It may require new tools (Torque wrench, SAE Socket Wrench Set, Torx & Hex Wrenches etc., but these tools you will use all the time as you get better at this). Good luck and have a nice holiday season! :newsmile018:

Last edited:
most dealers have two different prices ,one for on the bike and one price for off the bike. I take it off and save the bucks ! also Im not set up for balancing.

Nothing that unique about the Harley wheels and tires. You can take your wheel and new tire over to a metric shop, and have them do it!!

TQ

Back