free website stats program changeing all three engine oils on my 2001 deuce | Harley Davidson Forums

changeing all three engine oils on my 2001 deuce

I am going to change my primary, trans, and crankcase oils. In the past i have only change the primary engine oil (as i understand it, correct me if i am wrong)
Does anyone out there know the intervals for changing oils. After 3000 miles i try and change the primary oil and filter. But am unfamiliar with the other two. What precautions should be taken?
I just ordered i service manual today from the harley shop in Seaford deleware (tax Free : ) for $60. Are the better deals out there for 2001 softail Deuce???

I have changed them (all three) on my 2001 deuce around every 3,000 miles or so it might be an over kill but it's only 2qts extra. I have about 21,000 on this bike now and have had no problems.

I have just got back from a 3000 mile ride, Guess it wouldn't hurt to change them all. I have only changed the engine oil (every 3000) in the last 15000 i put on it. No reported problems to speak of, except things raddleing loose. Engine runs like a top, Fuel injection is a world of differance.

I am going to change my primary, trans, and crankcase oils. In the past i have only change the primary engine oil (as i understand it, correct me if i am wrong)
Does anyone out there know the intervals for changing oils. After 3000 miles i try and change the primary oil and filter. But am unfamiliar with the other two. What precautions should be taken?
I just ordered i service manual today from the harley shop in Seaford deleware (tax Free : ) for $60. Are the better deals out there for 2001 softail Deuce???

Last question first, maybe a bit cheaper somewhere, but you need one NOW, so don't sweat it.

Use the Owner's Manual or Factory Service Manual as the MAXIMUM interval, and adjust down from there based on how you ride, and the conditions you ride in.

Change:

Engine oil: use a FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil (NOT SYN3)
Tranny: use a FULL synthetic GL-5 75W90 or 75W140 gear lube (weight dependent on ambient temps)
Primary: use a fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant (like HD Formula + or equivalent)

TQ

Back