free website stats program Changed lube in primary/trans... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changed lube in primary/trans...

Thanks for the info, but I dont think (from looking on the web) that many people run the bel ray stuff.

More important I think is the primary chain being so loose.
I am glad I checked and adjusted it. Well over an inch of play cold.

I did not remove the clutch cover, just the inspection cover, and added the lube through that.
I have not seen the cover gasket/seal, and gather its tricky to fit/reuse, so I did not remove the cover this time.

I ordered a manual for the bike, as I have not had a Harley for 25 years....
Lots to learn...

Brett

Brett, the gasket you are referring to inside the primary cover is called the "Quad ring" . If it becomes loose( it will ) when you remove the cover, all you have to do is put a few dabs of gasket sealant (permatex) on it to hold it in place....

Regarding that Quad ring, I would use hi temp grease so the gasket can be reused once thereafter, as well as the primary gasket...just easier to remove and clean, my thinking being that if the surfaces are clean and resonably true, let the gasket do its' job, same as o-rings and non-pressurised areas, just my way, going along the less is more approach...

Actually it's easy enough to use a couple of the bolts through the cover and "hang" the gasket on them when installing the cover.

Just a tid-bit here, I found that keeping all my Sealed areas "dry of oil", along with the gaskets or O rings wiped dry, helps keep Oil from weeping-seeping also known as Wicking and showing up as a leak ..

My dyna would always have oil on the chrome around the bottom of derby-cover after changing out the lube in chaincase.. New gasket but still seeped.
I dried the area and gasket that was damp from oil and put back together Dry ,,, No leak or seep that way.

bubbie

A bit of silglide or dieelectric grease on the quad ring and any rubber o ring or gasket will not only hold them in place but it is a very good probably the best lube for the rubber parts, been using it for years , signed Capital Jack

Back