free website stats program change locks in fuel door or new cap | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

change locks in fuel door or new cap

Thanks all for the input and testing the keys to prove ANY Harley key will open the fuel door. Went down to the dealer and they do not know of any Harley made or any after market lock cap that will fit under the fuel door. Now the thinking is to change out the fuel door lock by having the universal fuel door's Harley 'pretend lock' altered to the same key as the ignition. Using a locksmith seems to be the only option here.
Thanks again, and we owe all of you a cookie. :D

My son in law left his gas cap for his street glide at a gas station. We just went to a autoparts store and purchased a car gas cap. worked fine, my thoughts would be if that worked then a locking car gas cap should also work.
I just don't remember what the gas cap we purchased was designed for Ford, Chevy, Chrysler.

Thanks for all your input...most of them bring a smile and a chuckle at the different senses of humour.
Took the gas door lock to a locksmith(biker of course) and he was astounded that there are no "pins" in the lock and that ANYTHING (pen, blank key, pin,etc)will open it. Shocking!! He cannot rekey it as there are no pins to reset inside the orginal lock ..... the guy (FORT is his name) called his buddy at the Harley shop and no luck...which we already knew was a dead end but he will talk around with his other buddies to see if they know anything.
So, if any other riders want to change the locking door, if you have a fuel door on your bike,we went to our local CANADIAN TIRE store and bought an after market "MOTORAD MGC-900" which is made in the U.S.A.
Anyways thanks again,
:)

No doubt about it! The fuel door on all touring models could always be opened by ANY HD barrel key. You can open the door for anyone who's lost his key as well.

I replaced mine with the mushroom push button latch. NO less secure and looks a heck of a lot better.

Blue

Back