free website stats program Center stand observation | Harley Davidson Forums

Center stand observation

stevec314

Hey guys I bought this center stand for my Ultra and I love it. I did however make a unique discovery yesterday. I was told that if you gas up with the bike on the center stand that you can get about 1/2 gallon more in the tank. Anyway, I gassed up during lunch and rode back to work. then I discovered later in the day that I was smelling gas and saw it was coming from under my bike. ( started thinking fuel line problem ) Well I did get gas on the center stand but when I came back I used the reg stand and after a couple hours of 98 degree sunlight and heat + bike not on center stand = overflow and lost gas. Anyway just thought I would throw that out.

What are you saying, the gas tank expanded then contracted. Where was it leaking, at the cap or at the fuel line?? I don't see how the center stand would effect a fill up on gas. Is your tank completely level when on the center stand? If so, then I can see leaning it over will spill gas out the cap. I wouldn't fill up on the center stand. The tank and gauge are set up to read off the jiffy. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Filling the tank straight up and the leaning it will naturally cause gas to leak from the cap.

I don't think it was the expansion from the heat as much as it was filling up while on the center stand. Filling the bike while it is on the center stand results in more gasoline in a tank designed to be filled at a slant. It's o.k. as long as the bike is on the center stand or upright while riding immediately after filling. However, the minute it's put on the jiffy stand and leans, then the tank overflows until the extra gas is drained. Some Iron Butt riders who don't get off their bikes while filing up learn this when they stop and put the bike on the side stand without riding far enough to use the excess gas.

It seems to me that you would get more fuel in the tank if it was on the jiffy stand being the air is up at the filler neck then being the highest part of the tank.

EZ UP is a far superior center stand than what HD makes. I had a buddy get the HD one for his 09 EG and took it back, very hard to use and not much room for your heal to grab. Several of us have this one and it is great. Note, NEVER use a center stand if you are at a forward incline as the bike will role of of the center stand and it is a good idea to put the bike in gear.

WHEELDOCK - The Official Site - wheeldock.com

DDOG, I filled up on the Center stand all of the way full. Then rode 1/4 mile to work and set it on the regular jiffy stand. The Jiffy stand leans to the same side as the overflow outlet. If I would have ( and I did later ) parked on the center stand that would have fixed it OR if I would have used a bit more fuel before arriving at work.

Back