free website stats program Case For ABS | Harley Davidson Forums

Case For ABS

Sharky1948

Not to rehash the ABS controversy, but here is my experience from yesterday.

I was out on the twisties and a few drops of rain began to fall. I wasn't too worried, since it has rained a lot recently and I figured the roads would be pretty free of oil, etc.

Anyway, I was entering a downhill, blind turn a little hot when my rear tire kicked out a bit. As I started to straighten up to gain traction I saw a flashing red traffic light in front of me. I applied the brakes and the ABS kicked in. (Apparently there was an oil spill or something, because there was really limited traction.) At any rate, with the front wheel straight and bike upright I came to a reasonably fast stop, with only the front of my bike extending into the intersection. No harm, no foul.

I can say with certainty that it would not have been as pretty without ABS.

Of course, I could have avoided the whole situation by not coming into a downhill, blind turn, with "iffy" conditions as quickly as I did. Nuff said on that.

I agree with you. A person will never be able to modulate the brake as effectively as ABS. It stays on the edge without locking and stays there until you are either stopped or let up on the brakes.

Anyway, I was entering a downhill, blind turn a little hot when my rear tire kicked out a bit. .

Told you that 103 would get you into trouble.

Now where's that case of Fosters :bigsmiley20:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharky...glad to hear the ABS was a good bet...certainly worth more than the weight of a case of Foster's, but can't decide which one was needed more AFTER that bit of drama!! :cheers

Sharky...glad to hear the ABS was a good bet...certainly worth more than the weight of a case of Foster's, but can't decide which one was needed more AFTER that bit of drama!! :cheers

change of shorts more than likely would have been first choice rather than abs or fosters after the event

Glad you made out! also glad to hear the anti-lock works so good. Just got my first bike and that was the only item that was a must.

Glad the ABS worked out for you.But no thanks! I'm happy sticking with conventional brakes and relying on myself .

Back