free website stats program Carb | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb

Rubberside down

Ive just recently bought a 03 sporty 883 anniversary. Everyone I talk to tells me S&S is the must reliable and maintenance free. In your opinion will the S&S carb be good for a novice.:small3d023:

Ive just recently bought a 03 sporty 883 anniversary. Everyone I talk to tells me S&S is the must reliable and maintenance free. In your opinion will the S&S carb be good for a novice.:small3d023:

Nothing Wrong with the stock carb... I doubt the SnS will give you much more on an 883...

If you want more power? Plan to go 1200 CC's conversion and nothing will give you more power than adding cu inches. Use the stock heads you have on that 883 if you do. Just do a carb jetting and maybe exhaust for POWER.......:rofl

signed....BUBBIE

Nothing Wrong with the stock carb... I doubt the SnS will give you much more on an 883...

If you want more power? Plan to go 1200 CC's conversion and nothing will give you more power than adding cu inches. Use the stock heads you have on that 883 if you do. Just do a carb jetting and maybe exhaust for POWER.......:rofl

signed....BUBBIE

What he said!:bigsmiley12:

The stock carb seems to work well on the 883 sportster mine has been up jetted to deal with the screaming eagle air cleaner and performance exhaust system
However in my environment the stock carb does not work so well with the larger volumes drawn by a 1340 cc engine and does ice up regularly
I have used mikuni hsr carbs on my 2 big twin bikes and over the last 7 years they have proved to be very reliable
I can therefore recommend the mikuni hsr as an aftermarket carb
Be aware that modern fuels are hard on rubber and plastic carb parts and regular cleaning and maintenance helps but a carb rebuild using the correct rebuild kit can solve many issues especially if the carb is 10 years or older

Brian

Your carb will support 80+ h.p. with just a few mods, AND be smoother than the S&S throughout the rpm range.

What has already been said, The stock 883 valves out flow better than 12000, The CV is a great tuneable carb

Got the same ride and did upgrades last year. Put on thunderheader 2 in 1 pipes, screaming eagle air filter, jetted carb with slick little custom kit off ebay that worked fantastic. Performance is truly outstanding, really blew me away when I first rode it. Has lots of extra power now where it was needed most such as passing and rides real smooth... really no need or desire to upgrade to 1200! There's a photo in my album if you want to see how thunderheaders look.

Back