carb rebuild

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by barnone, Mar 21, 2014.

1. barnone

barnone Member

how long should it take a good mechanic to rebuild a carb on a 2004 883?

2. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Carb rebuild...about a 6-pack. =8^)

JK, I've done a carb in couple of hours, but I'm slow and particular. Good mech can probably do the build within an hour...

3. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

I can pull the carb from my Road King or Dyna in under 10 minutes. I've rebuilt them enough that I can do it in under 30 minutes. Another 10 minutes to reinstall. So an hour total with a quick function test.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Active Member

yup can completely strip and clean and rebuild a 4 pack carb off a sports bike in hour , 90 mins if going slow and using it for meditation - 883 being a being a single sv as said 10mins dependant on how caked up and stuck the fasteners are

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If I were doing one of mine I would allow 2 hours but probably be finished in 1 1/2 however I would be cleaning and polishing the outside of the carb while it is off the bike

Brian

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I like to cook or boil them out over night:s Clean is the key

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Active Member

what sauce Jack? and is there pasta with that or fries :lolrolling

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

:s Just like em good and clean, I use a torch tip cleaner in all the passages also

9. barnone

barnone Member

well i took mine to local hd I was just wondering. if they sock it to me I know I wont be buying my next bike from them! really didn't want to but I work to much and never really worked on Harleys, I know bikes just not Harleys, we got three but ive never worked only any of the carbs and one is fuel injection

10. barnone

barnone Member

thanks everyone, ride safe ride hard