free website stats program Carb issue?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb issue??

Hi all, could use some help here. I have a 97 1200 sporty, it has a screaming eagle intake, carb (model 27728-99 i believe) and exhaust. Now the problem i'm having is it runs choppy like on 1 cylinder when taking off and kinda bucks and surges, sometimes a little pop out the carb. have to run with the choke half on or it will die. I did notice a vacuum line on the back going to the VOS was cut, fixed that but no change, also, couldnt blow air through the tank vent, so ran a new vent line, dont know if that helped yet, to late to test ride. Checked the plugs and they are greyish white, also did put a .032 washer under the needle. Dont know what jets are stock in the 44mm screamin eagle carb off hand, but wondering if maybe nedd to up size or what. Will try to find out the jet size that i have in there unless someone knows what they come with. Just need a direction to go, new to workin on bikes so didnt want to rip the whole carb apart just yet. Any ideas, Thanks in advance,,, James

Looks like i'll yank it off and see whats inside, carb was new last year, but after sitting for the winter i guess anything is possible, at least i can see what jets are in there so i know. now i have plans for tomorrow, BTW, when you open the throttle, is it just supposed to squirt fuel till about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle then stop?

Update... running good now, replaced tank vent line, cleaned the carb out,has a 220 main and a 58 slow jet, little big probably, put on a new gas line, the line that was on there didnt look to be gas line, was breaking down on the inside, im sure stuff got in the carb from that, but thanks Hobbit for your help...James

might of been a 48 slow, cant remember now, but i know it was an 8, 220 main for sure, its just what it came with, they didnt tell me how much bigger the carb was when they sold it to me, shoulda done some homework first, lesson learned

Back