free website stats program Cancun to Chichen Itza anyone?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cancun to Chichen Itza anyone??

russo_4

Hello all-

I am super new and have been searching through the threads and have not found an answer to my question...

I am going Cancun, Mexico with the wife in a couple of months. I have always wanted to see the pyramid at the Chichen Itza site. The prospect of a long crowded bus ride does not appeal to me so I thought about renting a road king and riding down.

Has anyone done this or somethign close to this? Seems like it will be a pretty far ride from the resort area and I want to do it all in one day (there and back) if possible.

Any comments/suggestions?

Over the years ,I have rented bikes on vacation from Egalerider , Never in mexico though, the only hassel with renting is getting the bike and dropping it back off then getting back to the hotel. I say go for it ,But try to rent the same bike you ride , because on 1 ocations Ive bought a new bike because of this. I use the renting of bikes as a tool now in making up my mind on what future bike to buy . Go for it and enjoy

Hello all-

I am super new and have been searching through the threads and have not found an answer to my question...

I am going Cancun, Mexico with the wife in a couple of months. I have always wanted to see the pyramid at the Chichen Itza site. The prospect of a long crowded bus ride does not appeal to me so I thought about renting a road king and riding down.

Has anyone done this or somethign close to this? Seems like it will be a pretty far ride from the resort area and I want to do it all in one day (there and back) if possible.

Any comments/suggestions?

My wife and I went to Playa del Carman wich is south of Cancun and on the shuttle from the airport to the resort it seems like I saw a sign for Harley rentalsbut My wife wouldn't let check into it unless I tripled the coverage on my life insurance and put on a bullet proof vest..

Thanks for the tips so far...from what I gather the Yucatan is perfectly safe so I'm not going to worry about banidtos. I was more concerned about getting lost or something.

I currently have a little sportster but would rent either a road king or a electra glide. I have to go a little bigger so that my wife will be comfortable. She's been a passenger on my sporty but it's too small for anything longer than 30 minutes...not to mention I do not have a sissy bar :D

As long as you are fluent in spanish, you can deal with a lot. Make sure you have all the insurance angles covered. There are some interesting requirements in Mexico.

We didn't rent a bike but took the bus trip with a guide. He was very good; funny and knowledgeable and he brought tequila for us. As I remember it was a pretty strsight shot through the jungle. I think if you get on the right road, you can't miss the pyramids. The guide told us some pretty cool stuff about the area while we were there and he knew all the interesting things to see there. The whole thing was arranged through the hotel we stayed at and I think we paid like $20 per person for it.
Let us know if you rent a bike while you are there. I'd be curious to know how expensive it is.

OK...finally I figured out how to post on this thing so I hope you get this. I was just in Cancun last week, and I went to Chichen Itza. I was not up for the bus trip there with all the fanny packers either, but we did it and it turned out to be a good thing. I do not think it would be too dangerous to go on your own, the road to Chichen Itza is well traveled and in good condition. The only thing you would definately need to look out for is the "topes" or speed bumps. They are not like the ones in the US...they are poorly marked and sometimes HUGE. In fact, I remember saying when we were down there, "I wouldn't want to have to ride my bike over THAT!!" Other than that, you need to make sure you have the proper insurance. In Mexico, if you are in an accident, I heard, they can hold you until you pay for/prove you will pay for damages. I rented a car and bought the extra liability insurance. Anyway...Chichen Itza is awesome and the bus is not so bad. Have fun!!

Back