free website stats program can someone tell me if I really need an amp when adding rear speakers? | Harley Davidson Forums

can someone tell me if I really need an amp when adding rear speakers?

Hi, yall. I ride a 07 electra classic, I have a aftermarket sony head unit, with 2- 5.25 front speakers. I want to add 2 rear 6x9s and install them in my hard bags. EVERYWHERE that i read i hear about guys adding an amp when installing rear speakers, can someone tell why this is? I mean, I have 4 speaker connections coming out of my head unit, cant i just plug the 2 6x9s and go enjoy my tunes? NEED HELP clarifying.. thanks..

i think they would sound great with out the amp.. you putting them in the bags? what is your plan? let us know how this goes.

I would think as long as the unit has the power to drive the speakers you would be ok without an amp. But if they sound muffled or you can't get the volume out of them.......

the only time you have to add an amp is if your using the pre-amp outputs, they are designed for use with an amp usually a subwoofer output.

If you have a CD player the amp makes all the difference.if you are going with a stock radio dont bother

i think they would sound great with out the amp.. you putting them in the bags? what is your plan? let us know how this goes.

Yes, I know a guy who put 6x9s on the inside of his bags, facing the rear tire, and drilled small holes (not visible) for the sound.. MAN, his set up sounds NICE!!! he has the same head unit I have a sony with 50wx4. I bought new 5.25 sonys for the front, and have the spare 2 speakers wire for the rear, so I just bought some pioneer 5way 6x9s for the rear. I will try this off in the next coming days and post pics..

Your sony radio was designed for 4 speakers, I am going to assume it is a model made for marine use,if this is the case it will put out more wattage on the ports designated for the rear speakers so make sure the 6x9s are hooked to these then use the fader to set it to your own listening preference and enjoy.

well actually its not a marine unit. I debated with this option and figured the marine unit was not needed in MY situation. I dont tour alot, plus i dont like to ride in the rain alot. Plus, the guy who installed my head unit did a terrific job customizing my kit. Man, this guy is good, he custom made the kit that sorrounds the head unit to make it nice and tight. I doubt any water will penetrate it. All labor, kit, parts and installed the speakers at the same time for $75.. I want to take on this 6x9 challenge on my own, seems pretty easy..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back