free website stats program Can´t get the extension shaft out | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can´t get the extension shaft out

Hang in there COSTA you got some good help here. Oh, by the way. You got any good places to surf?:D

Bodeen

The extension shaft actually has a play (about 5mm) going in and out from the rotor but doesn´t goes all the way out!!!

Hang in there COSTA you got some good help here. Oh, by the way. You got any good places to surf?:D

Bodeen

Yes we got them!!!! Tamarindo, Jacó, Hermosa, Manuel Antonio....just to mention a few hahahaha :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a picture.... so today I carried the bike in a trailer to San José (capital city) to a BikeShop and they told me not a big deal, just cut in the middle the shaft extension to get exposed the remaining sleeve of the compensator nut... then split the remaining sleeve with the help of 2-3 drill holes and a chizel... once it gets burst the taking out the remaining part of the shaft extension and voilà... that´s it.... I hope be ridding again in a few days

Attachments

• SHAFT EXT.jpg
    SHAFT EXT.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 29
Glad to hear that you are getting sorted
i have used the drill and cold chisel to great effect in the past once it is split the tension is off and it is easy from there

Brian

I think I saw something in the last photo that said 'No Sharp Blows'? There is one school of thought that says it's OK to loosen the comp nut with an impact wrench but not to tighten with an impact wrench. I don't use an impact but I guess some do. Point being, I would exhaust every other approach to removing the shaft extension before I started banging away on the output shaft with a hammer and cold chisel.

I have used a split puller like the one linked in Klarich's post to pull the inner race off the trans mainshaft when the race has walked into the 5th gear mainshaft seal and there was not enough room to get a standard race puller behind the race. Used a dremel to cut two notches in the side of the inner race deep enough for the clamshell of the split puller to get a bite, a little heat and she pops right off.

I would be trying that approach and cut notches in the shaft extension, heat it up a bit and try pullling it off before banging away on the output shaft and the case bearings and seals. Then heat up the remaining bit of the comp nut and back it off; various ways to get a tool on to turn the nut. But that's just me.

Thanks God I got my bike back:D
Labor bill $190 including new compensator nut and shaft extension, besides the new stator. Thanks to all for your posts

Back