free website stats program Camshaft for touring models? | Harley Davidson Forums

Camshaft for touring models?

rgoot01

I was looking into possibly changing the stock camchaft. What would be a decent step-up from the factory cam in an 80"evo in a 1989 Electra Glide Classic?

The popular Evo dresser cam has been the Andrews EV13. It's a easy bolt in, no mods needed for valves/spring clearances, and can be used with stock push rods. They provide an appreciable bit of low end power. They are also pretty reasonable now, around $110. There are LOTS of good cams besides Andrews.

Andrews EV3 is another good bolt in cam, check your lifters now also, you have the earlier Evo crankcases good on you, the lifter bosses and cases were a wee bit thicker back then, now would also be time to check and or replace the breather JMO If you need more info on bolt in cams I have a good chart here some where:s

I've used Andrews EV23 in 2 Evo dressers. I liked the pull in the 60-70 mph. range. They have about the same lift as the other 2 posted but different durations I believe. I also always went with Adj. Push Rods, new Torrington inner cam bearing, and would check the breather valve,as Jack stated.Stock they are plastic but S&S and others make a metal replacement, even have an oversized if needed.
tourbox

Bike and riding Style Heavy Bike
Touring Heavy Bike Performance or Light Bike Touring Light Bike
Performance

RPM Range
Idle to 4500 1500 to 5000 2000 to 5500
Andrews EV-13
EV-23 EV-27 EV-3
EV-46
Crane Fireball 300 Fireball 310 Fireball 316
Screamin Eagle SE-3 SE-4 SE-1
SE-11
V-Thunder EVL-3000 EVL-3010 EVL-3020
EVL-3040

Bolt-in Camshaft Selector Sifton has some choices also if you wan too

+1 on the Andrews EV-23 for a bagger. I think you'd be happy with the results.

Originally Posted by Breeze3at
The popular Evo dresser cam has been the Andrews EV13. It's a easy bolt in, no mods needed for valves/spring clearances, and can be used with stock push rods. They provide an appreciable bit of low end power. They are also pretty reasonable now, around $110. There are LOTS of good cams besides Andrews.

I'd also agree with my brother by a different mother...:shock

On the EV 27,,, IF memory serves me correctly, the overlap also allows for a coooooler running motor. You do need to add compression using this cam if you want to gain back the low end torque.

The early intake close of the EV23 allows a little more Held IN (higher) compression and that will Help move your heavier bike. (more Torque)

Man, Them EVO's:D

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back