free website stats program Cam Sprocket Bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Sprocket Bolts

On the first TC88 models,there were problems with the heads coming off the bolts.
The bolts were uprated,but,is there a VIN number for the FLHR model,when this was done?
I've tried all sorts of search words but found nothing.

I cant find any specifics but I though this was more of a key way issue than a bolt issue. The Moco's fix was to change the bolts. Go figure. At any rate, I believe this was something that may have been handled as a warranty item if the owner at the time was aware of the problem and contacted the dealer. Maybe the dealer can run your VIN and tell if you have the upgraded bolts?

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING - ENGINE - GASOLINE
99V003000 HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY from 02/25/1998 to 01/07/1999 V (Vehicle) 14211 01/27/1999 MFR HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY 01/13/1999 01/21/1999
Defect Summary Vehicle description: motorcycles. the engine cam bolt can lose its clamp load and/or break.
Consequence Summary This condition can cause the engine to quit running with or without prior warning. in some instances, the engine could run erratically before quitting.
Corrective Summary Dealers will replace the engine cam bolts and washers.
Notes Owner notification began january 27, 1999.owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact harley-davidson at 1-414-342-4680.also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's auto safety hotline at 1-888-dash-2-dot (1-888-327-4236).

Read more: Harley Davidson Flhp 1999 - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints

I found this specific to a cam bolt with action for dealers. I would do as Bodeen suggested.

On the first TC88 models,there were problems with the heads coming off the bolts.
The bolts were uprated,but,is there a VIN number for the FLHR model,when this was done?
I've tried all sorts of search words but found nothing.

Finally I think this is the answer you are looking for.

January 8, 1999
SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN 095

Dear Dealer/Distributor:

Harley Davidson has become aware that on certain 1999 model motorcycles the engine cam bolt could lose its clamp loading and/or break. This condition could cause the engine to quit running with or without prior warning. In some instances the engine could run erratically before quitting. Certain 1999 model motorcycles equipped with Twin Cam 88 engines ( engines which were built from the start of 1999 model year production through September 27, 1998 ) are affected. To help you identify motorcycles please reference the crankcase number stamped on the left side of the engine. Affected 199 Twin Cam 88 engines must have a 99 stamped in position 3 and 4 and have numbers from 035 through 270 stamped in position 5 through 7.

Harley Davidson has voluntarily declared this a " defect related to motor vehicle safety" (Campaign 095) and plans to recall all potentially affected vehicles. A service bulletin containing complete details concerning this campaign will follow within 14 days. Owner notification, in accordance with NHTSA regulations, will follow the bulletin. In the interest of mutual customers, DO NOT SELL OR DELIVER any potentially affected motorcycles to your customers until the recall service has been performed. If you have sold any of these motorcycles, we urge you to contact the customers immediately to make them aware of this recall. All registered owners of affected vehicles will be notified by Harley Davidson to bring the vehicle in for recall service.

Back