free website stats program Cam Chain Tensioners, How Do They Look? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain Tensioners, How Do They Look?

propflux01

I did not want to hijack the other thread about cam chain tensioners, but as stated in my posting on that thread, I am in the process of installing new exhaust so while it was out I decided to open up the chest and see what kinda treasure I could find inside.

What do you think of these as far as wear pattern? I think they could go for a few K's more. Am I looking at this right?

Attachments

• Inner.jpg
    Inner.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Outer.jpg
    Outer.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 182
Really can't see the wear faces, but as I understand it the material the shoes are made of was improved and has better wear characteristics. I think if it were me while I had it opened up I would at the very least change the shoes. If you have the $$ I would go for the hyd. upgrade or be done with the problem altogether and install gear drive.

pull the tensioners away from the chain and look. and if possible take a pic of it. That would help us out better. on the inner pad use a dental mirror and a flash light to look at the thickness. compare it to the outer one and you can see if it is wearing faster. my inner was wearing faster than the outer.

HDDon: I plan on going with an upgrade in the near future. Have not decided if I'll just go with Gear drive or simpler Hyd Roller chain.

marcus22: I'll pull the outer back and try and get a better pic.

When I opened up my '05RG with 32,000mi I had already purchased the S&S gear drive and Andrews cams. Wouldn't you know it the darn things looked like new. Oh well installed the gear drive and never looked back. Bike now has 68,000mi and no problems.

The pitting would worry me, but I worry easy. I think the newer shoes are made of a different material, not sure where I saw that. Since your in there, if it doesn't cost much for new shoes I would probably do that.

I replaced mine at 42, 000 on mmy 02 RK, and they looked bad, each was worn about half way through, with the inside one being worse. I cut open and oil filter and saw little pieces in the pleats, I then new it was time to replace. If your just going to replace the tensioners, you will have to get adjustable push rods and new timken cam bearings too. Search here and you will find a ton of know how on how to do it. I replace all my O rings and gaskets too.

not as bad as some others including mine when i replace them, but not a bad idea to change them out though

You did not mention the mileage?

The wear pattern is even and hardly any wear. The pitting wouldn't bother me; those little pieces will get caught in filter; no harm. Having said that, a quick and cheap fix would be to replace the OEM tensioners with the CYCO tensioner.

harley davidson chain tensioners

You do not necessarily need adjustable pushrods as you can pull the OEM pushrods from the top by loosening the rocker support plate. Your choice, cut the OEM pushrods and purchase adjustables or take the extra time ot remove from the top; money vs labor decision.

I would replace the inner cam bearings in the process; cheap and might as well once you open the cam chest and pull the cam plate. JMHO

Back