free website stats program Cam chain & tensioner | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain & tensioner

I just bought a 2005 SEEG2 Laborday weekend and was told about the cam chain tensioners as my bike has 28K miles. I checked them last nite and they both looked almost new. You seem to hear about the problem bikes but not to much about the problem free ones. I'll probably check them every 20K or so but they look like they could go 100K easy, if the current wear is any indicator. I was mentally ready to spend $1000 to convert to the hydraulic upgrade but I'll invest in more chrome instead. Getting a look at the inside tensioner was harder than I thought and the mirror gave me a marginal view. I used a small alan wrench to feel for any wear ridges to verify the lack of wear. I hope yours is like mine!

I just bought a 2005 SEEG2 Laborday weekend and was told about the cam chain tensioners as my bike has 28K miles. I checked them last nite and they both looked almost new. You seem to hear about the problem bikes but not to much about the problem free ones. I'll probably check them every 20K or so but they look like they could go 100K easy, if the current wear is any indicator. I was mentally ready to spend $1000 to convert to the hydraulic upgrade but I'll invest in more chrome instead. Getting a look at the inside tensioner was harder than I thought and the mirror gave me a marginal view. I used a small alan wrench to feel for any wear ridges to verify the lack of wear. I hope yours is like mine!

Glad yours are holding up, and I hope that continues. If you can, it would be good to find out what engine oil, filter, and change frequency the previous owner was using. May not be exactly cause and effect, but wouldn't hurt to continue that pattern.

Also, I suggest you open up the nose cone every year for a couple of years to see if your current experience continues. Since no one seems to know why there are such drastic differences in failure experience with these things, we are not sure how to advise people to know when they are in danger other than through inspection. I am not sure that the wear is linear. So even if you have only say 10% wear after 28k miles, I am not sure you will make it to 140k before you have 50%. You might make it to 300k. Who knows.

TQ

I have 52,000 on mine and will be changing them this weekend. After I did the inspection I am lucky! The rear one looks like a piece has broke off.

Not sure if the 05 is much different than the 01 but I would change out all of the cam bearings since the cams and support plates are out of the motor
I found the site below with details on how to do it without the use of a press, I tried it and it not that hard, i got the HD cam service kit and it came with all of the bearings and gaskets needed for the job I tossed the HD inner and used Tottington though, I removed the top end so I didn't need adjustable rods.

HarleyHogs Cam Bearing Install

I tried this link and it appears to be out of service.

Does any one have tools to do conversion that I could rent? I'm close to London Ont. Thanks

I just finished up the conversion last weekend and the only tools I needed that I didn't already have were the inner cam bearing puller/installer tools and an in/lbs torque wrench. Got both on Ebay brand new for a good deal. $105 for both bearing tools + $15 shipping (HD wants $300 for both) and $25 for the torque wrench. I had the dealer press out the old cams and press in the new ones though. They charged me $40. I'll lend you my tools, but I think Ontario is kinda far from Dallas, but I'm not real sure. I was absent the day they taught geography in school. :D
PM me and I'll give you the info if you want it from Ebay. Not sure if they ship to Canada though.

Back