free website stats program Cam Chain Tensioner & Bearing Swap. | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain Tensioner & Bearing Swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider.

BOT Machine
Non working links removed.

Here's a great write up on how to change the cam chain tensioners and cam bearings on a twin cam engine. There's 10 pages with pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got into my cam chest this weekend, and thank goodness I did. You can see from the pictures below that the rear tensioner is WAY worn. The front is in need of changing too. I had replaced the front back about 25kmiles ago.

Also replaced the OEM installed INA bearings. Big difference between those and the Torrington.

TQ

Looks like you got to it in time TQ, sure got your wear out of those tensioners. Good move and thanks for the pics too. Good idea to do those bearings too at the same time.

Looks like you got to it in time TQ, sure got your wear out of those tensioners. Good move and thanks for the pics too. Good idea to do those bearings too at the same time.

Fixin' to write up the whole saga with plenty of picts as soon as I finish getting the bike reassembled. Have the cam chest all bolted up, but have to put on the pipe and heat shields, floorboard, and install the TFI. Will try to knock that out tonight.

Probably gonna be a long story. What is the best way to handle that here on the forum?

TQ

Good deal TQ. You can post it right here and I can touch it up or merge as necessary.

You can even add it to your first post that has the pics too, then I will remove these extra posts..

Thanks

The more info the better.:s

Here are some more shots of some tensioner shoes sent to me by another member. Emphasizes the need to upgrade to the hydraulic tensioners with the roller chain conversion or a gear drive system. At least keep a close eye on these things with at least an annual inspection. Any bike with about 15kmiles should be looked at IMHO.

The left tensioner in each shot has about 25kmiles, and the right has about 5kmiles. The first pix is the outside tensioner, and the middle and right are the inside tensioners.

TQ

Here are some more shots of some tensioner shoes sent to me by another member. Emphasizes the need to upgrade to the hydraulic tensioners with the roller chain conversion or a gear drive system. At least keep a close eye on these things with at least an annual inspection. Any bike with about 15kmiles should be looked at IMHO.

The left tensioner in each shot has about 25kmiles, and the right has about 5kmiles. The first pix is the outside tensioner, and the middle and right are the inside tensioners.

TQ

Thanks for providing the pics. I wish I had taken some pictures of my tensioners when a gear drive was put in my bike in '06. They were in worse shape that what you have shown. I agree that a bike should be inspected by 15k miles.

Are the 2008 96-ers susceptible to this cams tensioner issue too? I thought I had read something about HD had addressed this issue somewhat starting with the '07 twin cams? Any input is appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back