free website stats program Cam chain shoes 2000 deuce | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain shoes 2000 deuce

Eddy1

Hello all is there a way to check wear on shoes without tearing everything apart? Have manual but it shows how to replace but not inspect. any info appreciated. thanx all.

You have to pull the cam cover to see the shoes. The front one isn't difficult to check but the rear one requires a mirror and can be done without disassembling things.

What your looking for of course are tell-tale brown, burnt in wear grooves verses nice orange pads or if wear is further along, orange bits lying in the bottom or in the oil filter if you cut it open.

I remember an article in American Iron Magazine about cutting open the oil filter and checking the contents

Hey guys thanks. I have 18000 miles on bike & what ive been reading a little nervous. If bad would you guys go with gear driven or new roller chain? Is this a do it yourself or take to stealer job?

I changed the cam chain tensioners on my 02 Fatboy this past August. The bike had ~26000 miles on it at that time. Front shoe (nearest the outside)was 1/2 worn through and the back shoe was only lightly grooved (1/32" or so)...wish I had taken pictures.

The job itself wasn't that bad. Took me a about 12hours (multiple days 4 hr increments) Take you time and follow the instructions. One thing to remember...When you tighten your rocker plates down it takes time for your tappets (lifters) to bleed down before you can spin your push rods like the book says. My book didn't mention that and I thought I did something wrong until I found the answer online. You won't need all the tools they suggest in the book. A heat gun and a freezer will really help with the cam plate bearing removal and insertion...freeze to shrink...heat to enlarge...pretty simple.

Approximate cost
cam service kit (all gaskets and replacement bearings) ~$220.00 maybe a little less...can't remember exactly
Cam tensioners F & R $69 each

total parts cost ~$360.00
I upgraded to a set of Andrews cams while I was in there too but only cause I wanted to..The originals looked fine with 26k on them.
I'm pretty sure this costs a "bit" more at the dealer.

I didn't bother doing the roller chain hydraulic tensioner upgrade 'cause...it cost quite a bit more...and I figured it would be ~5 years before I had to do it again. I'd want to look at the cam chest by then again anyway. I got this bike last year, used, with 21k on it. trying to make it like...I mean better than new....replacing everyithing that moves. Looking good so far. I'll post some pictures once I can

FB02

I went with the roller chain conversion on my '99 Ultra, and can attest to the work up that TQ did. Check this out to determine if this is something you want to tackle yourself.

When I disassembled the cam plate, the front tensioner was 95% gone and the rear about 75% dead. The reason I spent the extra money doing the conversion is that I wanted to do it once (hopefully). The newer style camplate uses the high volume oil pump and the hydraulic tensioers. I went with SE adjustable pushrods, Andrews 26N cams, a Big Sucker air cleaner and a TFI. I had a set of V&H already on the machine.

Have about 5000 miles on the work and so far no problems. The cams, TFI and air cleaner give the bike a welcome boost.

Good luck....

Back