free website stats program Cam Chain Pad Estimate | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain Pad Estimate

FXDL4ME

I got an estimate to have my 2006 Twin Cam tensioners replaced. Bike has 36,000 miles on it. Here is what they will be replacing........
....the Harley spring loaded cam chain tensioners with Drag Specialties tensioners, Torrington inner cam bearings, S&S adjustable push rods and covers, new tappets, and all new gaskets.....labor 7 hours, $125 per hour, total $875
So, total cost....$1637..........too much?

I just replaced the lifters and cam bearings in my CVO Limited, never did it before but I did take more than 7 hours, reused the oe pushrods and added a few new tools to my box.

I replaced mine myself. Already had adjustable Push Rods and didn't replace the lifters as it was the second time around on the shoes and I used inferior ones. I replaced inner and outer cam bearings too. My total costs were around $270 and that included a couple tools. Plus I had a Hydraulic Press. Not hard to do if you have some mechanical ability.

JMHO but as Joel and ThunderRogue prove, the cam chest is nothing to be afraid of. I am sure both ot them will tell you not only did they save some $$ but the feeling of accomplishment is even more rewarding. Some repairs on Harley's are more challenging than others but replacing tensioners, innner cam bearings, installing cams, anything in the cam chest defiinitely falls into the DIY category of projects.

Those early spring loaded cam shoes are known for early failure without warning and can cause bad juju. At 36K miles they should have been replaced with aftermarket parts, CYCO are the current "go to" replacements. Once the cam chest is open, changing the inner cam bearings is a good idea. OEM lifters should be replaces with aftermarket parts as well; Johnson Hy-Lifts from WFO Larry are the current "go to" replacements.

The indy was cutting the OEM pushrods to avoid removing rocker covers and rocker arm support plate; time saving approach and the reason for adjustable pushrods. I have changed cams, pretty much the same operation, in less than four hours so I am pretty sure the indy could match or improve on that.

The only real challenge for a DIY guy is the pressing cams in/out of the cam plate. If the indy charges $125/hour for labor, the OP could easily do everything else and pay the indy to press the cams in/out and even if the indy charged for an hour, the OP can do the job for about $600 plus the cost of the HD service manual. R/R of the inner cam bearings will require the purchase of the tool which is available for about $75 on Ebay.

If I were the OP, I would suggest taking on this project at 50K miles; it's not a difficult project for anyone with basic hand tools and mechanical skills and the HD service manual. I would not trust the spring loaded tensioners past 50K miles. I konw ther are some that have never had issues but there is a reason the MoCo replace the spring loaded setup with hydraulic tensioners and roller chains '07 up.

There are plenty of DIY YouTube instructional videos posted by DIYers; some better than others. Check out this guy replacing tensioner shoes.

Apologies for the long winded post but I try to encourage DIY projects that are usually within the skill level of most of us.

Very true as Dolt says. The first set I did I paid my local Indy $60 for the minimum 1/2 charge bench time for them to press the cam. (One falls out) The next time I got a deal on a 12 ton hydraulic press and did it all myself. The press has paid for itself with other jobs too.

Very true as Dolt says. The first set I did I paid my local Indy $60 for the minimum 1/2 charge bench time for them to press the cam. (One falls out) The next time I got a deal on a 12 ton hydraulic press and did it all myself. The press has paid for itself with other jobs too.

Many times the cams, with bearings, will fall out of the early cam plates. I have seen that happen probably half the time.;)

+1 on Dolt's detailed response. And I appreciate his encouraging words. I'll be sure to send him a picture of my scooter on a trailer after I botch the job and have to send it to my local shop.

The scope of work the OP listed seems sensible. If it were me (and I will be you this Winter) I'd replace/upgrade pretty much everything in the cam chest while I am in there. And as Dolt advised, go with a high quality hydraulic cam tensioner set if you aren't going gear drive. It will be eons before you have to go back in there again.

I'd also do a cam upgrade just because. I'm thinking about a 525. I'm not made of money as perhaps you aren't either but a cam is a worthy upgrade. I already have the skids greased to do this. Ditto for the cam plate. And a high volume oil pump. I priced the parts for a complete cam chest rebuild/upgrade and it came to ~$1,500 using the best stuff I could find. I added another $500 for tools I don't have, shop supplies and so on. So not cheap but if you plan to keep your bike for a long time as I do it could be money well spent. Plus, you will learn a LOT (which is why I am doing it) and there is a great deal of self-satisfaction upping your DIY cred. Most posers out there don't even know how to do a fluid change so you'll definitely be worthy to talk to guys like Dolt once you've successfully completed this project. "Dolt" my butt. He's one of the smartest guys on here.

This upgrade is going to really stretch my ability and it scares the hell out of me. But, I'm an old man and this is pretty much a now or never thing. I don't want to be laying on my death bed regretting that I didn't have the balls to tackle this project.

No disrespect if you opt to have someone else do the work. I vacillate on this decision daily. I wish you the very best and please keep us posted on how it goes.

I got an estimate to have my 2006 Twin Cam tensioners replaced. Bike has 36,000 miles on it. Here is what they will be replacing........
....the Harley spring loaded cam chain tensioners with Drag Specialties tensioners, Torrington inner cam bearings, S&S adjustable push rods and covers, new tappets, and all new gaskets.....labor 7 hours, $125 per hour, total $875
So, total cost....$1637..........too much?

All of that for only the 36K miles? Mine clocked 41K without any repairs, just the filters, oils, and lubes. Make sure to have a proper diagnose before spending your bucks.

Back