Buying a new battery

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by mvd00024, Dec 14, 2009.

1. mvd00024

mvd00024 Member

Give me input on buying an Original battery or is it ok to put another brand.Will it be as good or is that a no.no......

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Always had good luck with OEM HD

3. jmpancoast

jmpancoast Active Member

I know there are other batteries out there just as good, but I have and will continue to spend the few extra dollars with Harley to make sure I get the one that is right for my bike.

4. mvd00024

mvd00024 Member

This old battery is 5 Yrs. old about now,I thought that was very good...Thanks, for the info......

5. 2000classic

2000classic Active Member

Tried a couple of aftermarket ones once. Still had issues till I went back to HD org. Spun the engine much better.

6. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

I think the HD batteries work good and last well.

7. DavHJ

DavHJ Member

Beleive it or not but I got 9 years out of a HD AGM battery using a battery tender when bike is in the garage.
    So I just baught another HD AGM battery.

8. hd4evr

hd4evr Banned

Just replaced the battery in my '07 SuperGlide in August.It was the original battery and it only lasted 18 months! What's up with that? BTW, I replaced it with another HD battery.

9. ProF

ProF Junior Member

I just replaced the battery on my 03 RG; it was the original. Should have done it earlier...I went off with the switch on last week, and after being gone less than an hour, the bike wouldn't start. Good thing I had AAA motorcycle service.
    Paid $135 +tax for a new HD battery at the dealers.

On my old bike, I used to get the Sears cheapies. They'd last a year to 18 mo., but often when they went bad, they'd short out, so you couldn't even jump them to get started. Once again, you get what you pay for.

10. Billbo

Billbo Junior Member

General question to any/every one here. when you must set your bike up for -- oh let's say 2-3 weeks, would you recommend going out and starting it up and letting it idle for about 10 mins or so every now and then? Is this a good practice or not?

Thanks for your input.

Bill