free website stats program burnt-on chrome polish...help! | Harley Davidson Forums

burnt-on chrome polish...help!

javin22

I know not to try and polish hot chrome, but I accidentally dropped a rag with Mother's chrome polish directly onto the hot pipes. I now have a brownish spot on the pipes, that has ridges in it. I tried to let the bike cool down and use the mother's on it again, but it is not doing a very effective job (It has helped a little). Can I buff it out with something, or am I screwed? Is there anything else I could be using?

If the Lacquer thiner on a rag doesn't work you might try some Road Rub. Road Rub It might take a little elbow grease but it pretty good stuff. should be availlable at you local dealer. You could also try some Semi Chrome polish. Cool Tools: Simichrome Metal Polish also should be availlable at your local dealer. Hope this helps.

Be safe

Easy Off oven cleaner...for cold ovens....I had a Wal Mart plastic bag wrap around my muffler...that was the only thing that got it looking new..I thought I was gonna have to replace the muffler....BTW my wife told me and even went and got the oven cleaner...lol Go figure...Women are just so smart...Good Luck.:D

Easy off oven cleaner.

Is the greatest thing for getting bugs and junk off of there. Make sure you let it sit for about 5 minutes, then wash it with soapy water and apologize. Tell her that you love her, and everything will be okay!

08FLHX

Brake parts cleaner. Don't get it on your paint! Spray on rag, place rag on spot when pipes are cold, drink a beer, spray rag again a couple more times while drinking beer, rub spot until gone...

"Brake parts cleaner. Don't get it on your paint! Spray on rag, place rag on spot when pipes are cold, drink a beer, spray rag again a couple more times while drinking beer, rub spot until gone..."
Drinking beer makes everything better - or does it just seem that way?

"Brake parts cleaner. Don't get it on your paint! Spray on rag, place rag on spot when pipes are cold, drink a beer, spray rag again a couple more times while drinking beer, rub spot until gone..."
Drinking beer makes everything better - or does it just seem that way?

Don't make it better but if you have enough of them you can't remember what the problem was and you don't care either.:D

Well I wanted to thank you all for the advice. I used a combination of a couple suggestions. First, I used easy off and let it sit for a few hours. Then I used 000 steel wool (and a lot of elbow grease and then I finished it off with Mother's chrome polish. I must say, it is slightly dull in the area I was working, but if you're not looking for it...you'd never know! Thanks for all the help. Ride safe.

Back