free website stats program Build Your Own Stage 1 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Build Your Own Stage 1

Ok just got back from the dealer checking on the Stage One A/C Kit for the 08 Touring Bikes. The whole kit is PN 29260-08 we opened it and took a look. The back plate is cast. The filter is not the one with the blue rubber. It is black rubber and does not appear to be paper either. It is a washable, fiber type, lifetime filter, the parts guy recommended using the K&N products to maintain it. The media to me looked kinda like a fiber glass cloth. The back plate is just a gray color. It could be powder coated or painted with epoxy paint. PN on the back plate is 29239-08. List price on the kit is $139.99

Good info, check on that filter you mentioned, If memory serves me correctly:51: they are cleanable but do NOT get oiled like the K&N do.

Good info, check on that filter you mentioned, If memory serves me correctly:51: they are cleanable but do NOT get oiled like the K&N do.

When I saw the media I kinda thought the same thing, I would think soap and water or a degreaser would about do it.

For anyone interested, Chicago Harley Davidson is offering 20% off all HD merchandise, They sent me an email today offering 25% off your most expensive item and 20% off the rest. I think it is 11% and 15% for non Harley stuff. That put the SE Air Cleaner at $84.00 plus shipping. (reg price $111.98) Pretty good deal, my local HD price is $139.99

Howdy,
New guy here. To the forum and to HD. I traded in my Honda Shadow for my youngest son about 3 years ago and just recently made the jump to a Harley.
First, I'm a penny pincher extraordinaire and usually hold out for great lengths to find a bargain and/or DIY solution for anything I have to pay for.

I just installed Python Staggered Duals with quiet baffles and I'm going to get the TFI soon (next paycheck) and was toying with the idea of upgrading the air cleaner, too. So I was psyched to find this thread. It's a step in the right direction to get me to change the air cleaner but I'm still looking for more information.
What is the difference between a full set up like this and simply replacing the stock filter with a K&N? If I did that, would there still be some performance gains?
And what if I don't replace it at all? Are there any downsides to only having the pipes & TFI without the upgraded air cleaner?

I've lurked for a while and I'm blown away by the range of in depth advice & knowledge you guys spit out here. So Thanks in advance.

And now I'm going to put one of those yellow dudes in here because they're funny.......:bigsmiley40:

What is the difference between a full set up like this and simply replacing the stock filter with a K&N? If I did that, would there still be some performance gains?
And what if I don't replace it at all? Are there any downsides to only having the pipes & TFI without the upgraded air cleaner?

Replacing the stock filter with a K&N using the stock housing has little in the way of additional flow into the engine because the housing is still restricting the flow. The stage 1 is a taller filter and flows much more than just the replacement K&N in the stock housing. There's a comparison chart in the self help section to compare the flow of the different filters.

The downside to only doing exhaust is realized in the loss in power and the running of the engine from doing the full stage 1 upgrade with the intake, exhaust and the added fuel.

I feel like I just got a message from HD royalty. I'm honored.
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like me and my pal Mastercard are heading back to the dealer tomorrow.
:newsmile093:

Yeah, but I seem to have split personalities when it comes to this sort of thing. One day I'm ready to pull the trigger on the most expensive setup available, the next day I'm trying to figure out if can modify the HVAC filters in my house.

So here's another option, the K&N RK3910 or 3909. What's the story on these? Looks like you get the premium filter and base plate but use your stock cover.

Just installed the Stage 1 parts list found here and the K&N filter on my '07 Streetglide to complement my Bub 7 slip-ons. Broke the tire loose on a corner that I go around every day so there seems to be a noticable difference in power output from the upgraded air intake. I like the way the rubber edge ring looks on the stock cover but It will not stay on unless it is secured somehow. Are most of you just taking the rubber edge trim off or using something else to give the edge a nice finished look? Will install the TFI Labor Day. Will the new filter and mufflers cause a "to Lean" condition without the TFI or will the ECM compensate and keep the "factory" fuel/air mixture?

Back