Broken Shift Shaft on 1992 Dyna

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by glen073, Oct 18, 2010.

1. glen073

glen073 Active Member

My son dropped in Dyna on wet pavement. Only damage besides a scrath on the clutch inspection cover was a broken shift shaft, right where it comes out of the mid primary. It has mid mounted controls. He managed to get the bike a short distance home in 2nd gear.

My question is whether this is a simple fix? Is this a part easilly accessed, once the outer primary is removed?

Thanks for any help.

2. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

It has been a while since i had my Dyna apart but i think you will need to pull the inner primary also
    Harley part number = 34621-90 description shift lever which i thought was a wee bit odd but the one that you put your boot on is lever shifter you may also need some o rings

Brian

3. david26

david26 Active Member

I had the spines on my shifter shaft strip out on my 09 and the inner primary had to be removed I would think it would be the same on a 92. It would be a good time to upgrade to forward controls if it somthing he been wanting to do. Wish I would have but i didnt have the funds to do so at the time.

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

A H D repair manual will come in handy here for Torque sequence of the bolts