free website stats program Broke belt | Harley Davidson Forums

Broke belt

Most common cause of premature belt break is incorrect tension. I would shop for aftermarket but that is just the way I am, cheap. I asked an indy dealer about using aftermarket and he said Harley didn't manufacture that part. I bet the same aftermarket belt will be made by Gates or Dayco and have a Harley brand on it.
Ken

I agree, shop aftermarket for Gates or Dayco brands. If you doubt correct tension, go for too loose.

I would go tighter then loose. You get a lot of snapping in a loose belt that is murder to a toothed belt. Better a bit tight then loose.
Ken

Well Orlando HD replaced rear tire in November, not riden that much since. I did not check it myself.

I was accelerating pretty hard but still should not have broken. 70 in second then at third it broke i think.

Don't trust the dealers to do things right. I always check a belt after 500miles or a couple of weeks for tension. Should check belt tension when you are bored and need something to do.
Ken

Can't speak to which belt to put in. One thing I do know, these belts to not cotton to picking up rocks. If you pick up a rock, neat the outside edge, you can make a spit that will let go when you twist it. Get a bit enough one and it will go right them. That is the reason I stay off of dirt and gravel roads, other than having to spend hours polishing, that is.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Check the condition of the pulleys before you replace the belt. Look for any kind of unusual wear patterns and nicks and shiny spots

I bet the same aftermarket belt will be made by Gates or Dayco and have a Harley brand on it.
Ken

That all being said, let me relate a personal story to you. Mom worked for a certain company and they made pumps. There were others that bought their pumps and had it put in their box. So yes, you would be right in saying that. That said, some were made to lower spec and some were made to higher spec. Some would have plastic and some would have metal. All came out of the same factory.

OTOH, I have a 7.3 Powerstroke that has many parts that you can get from International that cost less.

Bottom line is that you can't simply find the manufacturer and say "Well, it came out of the same door therefore it is the same product in a different box.". Some investigation of the specifications would be in order before declaring that. I have animal feed that I buy in private labels that are the same as the name brand and some that are custom products. Hard to say which is which.

Went with Drag Specialty 1" 137 toth belt.
Old had not wear and sprockets were clean

Orlando Harley replace my rear tire in November, did seem as if belt was too tight but since I was moving i did not have access to my stuff. Well fast forward and it just breaks for no reason, guessing it was too tight.

Back