free website stats program Brand new rider | Harley Davidson Forums

Brand new rider

Antjames

In need of some guidance , I highly appreciate yall

Okay I'm riding a 2000 Night train going about 90 on the highway on a very hot day and the bike loses all fuel power , which leads me to pull over and stall with speedometer still sitting at 90 . Bike cranks but does not start

First thing I did was un clog the fuel filter which was filthy very evident of why the bike lost all fuel power , cleaned the tank by running acetone thru it but bike will not start

Last edited by a moderator:
"Unclogged fuel filter", leads me to believe it is a carb'd. bike and it was an inline filter? There is a very fine pickup screen that is part of the fuel on/off valve, that gets clogged. Removing the petcock gets access to it. Many HD tanks are lined and acetone is not friendly to the liner, it may be separating and clogging delivery. You may need to remove the carb. float bowl and check for debris in the idle and main jets. Spraying with carb cleaner may help. Speedo stuck at 90, I got no advise for.

Welcome to HDT from Sweet Home Alabama. Is it getting fuel to the carb? my guess is no. Follow what Breeze3at suggested.

Welcome aboard from Gulf Coast AL. +10 on what breeze said about acetone attacking the tank liner, once you get the petcock, etc., cleaned out you may want to replace the fuel lines as well, acetone will severely degrade some rubbers and plastics.

Welcome to HDT from Sweet Home Alabama. Is it getting fuel to the carb? my guess is no. Follow what Breeze3at suggested.
Yes I believe so reason why is I took off the carb filter and sprayed with gas to try to start to see if thas the problem but no luck ,didn't even almost start

Welcome aboard from Gulf Coast AL. +10 on what breeze said about acetone attacking the tank liner, once you get the petcock, etc., cleaned out you may want to replace the fuel lines as well, acetone will severely degrade some rubbers and plastics.
Oh I had the tank removed before the acetone knowing the damage it could do to rubber

Yes I believe so reason why is I took off the carb filter and sprayed with gas to try to start to see if thas the problem but no luck ,didn't even almost start
When spraying gas into carb did it at least pop/fire at all? If not I'd be looking at a possible electrical issue, all you need for it to start and or at least pop is fuel and spark.

Fix your fuel issue by cleaning as other have recommended. If that doesn't fix it. Time to start looking at your electrical systems.

Check basics first. Two things required to start; fuel and spark, easy to check and verity that both elements are there and if not, chase the missing piece.;)

Back