free website stats program Brake Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Problems

Stanfom

I have a 2003 Ultra Classic. Since the time the bike was new, the rear brake always goes soft and fades in altitude. Pads are fine, rotor is good and has been bled over and over. After bleeding it feels great, as soon as I get into high altitudes it goes soft again. Anyone one with similar problems or suggestions ?
Thanks in advance...

I have a 2003 Ultra Classic. Since the time the bike was new, the rear brake always goes soft and fades in altitude. Pads are fine, rotor is good and has been bled over and over. After bleeding it feels great, as soon as I get into high altitudes it goes soft again. Anyone one with similar problems or suggestions ?
Thanks in advance...

Bypassing master cylinder, rebuild or replace it:s

Just asking here cause I dont know -- but if MC was bad/not holding wouldnt it do the same in the flats as well?

Just asking here cause I dont know -- but if MC was bad/not holding wouldnt it do the same in the flats as well?

Yes and no, when the pistons by pass there will be little or no pressure as the fluid by passes the rubber seals, one sure way to test this is pinch off the brake hose and pump the brakes, if the master is by passing you will have a soft pedal, this happens alot more with dot 5 in my experience, Hey Randy good to see you:s

Yes and no, when the pistons by pass there will be little or no pressure as the fluid by passes the rubber seals, one sure way to test this is pinch off the brake hose and pump the brakes, if the master is by passing you will have a soft pedal, this happens alot more with dot 5 in my experience, Hey Randy good to see you:s

Thanks for the info Jack. I'm still hangin on!!!!:s

Thanks for the info Jack. I'm still hangin on!!!!:s

Good deal Randy, I go to the bone crusher Wednesday, More bad news I bet Oh Well, least we all have the Forum to help us through the tough times RIGHT:s

maybe braided lines would help. or a m/c rebuild might be in order.

A collapsed brake hose will cause problems also, usually a hard pedal from my experiences , braided is a better choice:s

From a document that Jack just posted.

Master Cylinder Bypass Test
If you suspect an internal leak in the master cylinder, perform the
master cylinder bypass test. If, while the brake pedal is being
pressed slowly, the BRAKE warning lamp comes on, but there is no
indication of loss of reservoir fluid, the master cylinder may have an
internal leak.
Check the brake fluid level in the reservoirs and add fluid as
necessary. Observe the reservoir. Push the pedal all the way down
one stroke and release it. If the level of fluid in the reservoir rises
while the pedal is being applied and falls when the pedal is released,
the brake fluid is bypassing the pistons. The master cylinder should