free website stats program Brake part question | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake part question

R_W_B

Ok I'm having a little better luck getting the air out of my front brake line. I have a strong enough brake now to lock up the front brake. Still need to bleed some more air though.

Got a question for you more experienced guys. I just noticed I have lost my washer that goes around the plunger boot. I must have lost it when I was sanding the paint off my Master Cylinder. I wondering how important this washer is. The only way I can buy it is to buy the whole Mas Cyl Kit. If you look at the pic below it is the washer shown at bottom far left.

Attachments

• MasCylKit.jpg
    MasCylKit.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 36
Bottom far left (part of #16) is not a washer. It is a seal that is pressed in. That is what holds the stack (#16) from coming out.

Shop around you may find a master rebuild kit at J P cheaper than HD and it probably comes from the same vendor. Do not take short cuts on brake parts:s

Bottom far left (part of #16) is not a washer. It is a seal that is pressed in. That is what holds the stack (#16) from coming out.

Hmmm is it visible from the outside? Maybe I'm just imagine in it being lost. If it's a seal it would not have come out easily would it?

What is the part number for your front MC kit. You are talking about the 1st part in the line up of #16 correct?

I have a complete HD rebuild kit in my hand. That washer is metal but covered in black rubber. It is pressed into the MC body and holds everything inside the MC from falling out.

If that piece (washer) was missing, the plunger or cap (the part which contacts the brake lever) would just fall out.
That washer is the "stop" for the plunger.

I have a complete HD rebuild kit in my hand. That washer is metal but covered in black rubber. It is pressed into the MC body and holds everything inside the MC from falling out.

If that piece (washer) was missing, the plunger or cap (the part which contacts the brake lever) would just fall out.
That washer is the "stop" for the plunger.

Ok I must have an overactive imagination then because my plunger is defiinitely not falling out. Thanks man.

I am told that's a "Genius" character trait.:)

:lolrolling if that's the case then I only 'thought' I had an overactive imagination. I have had lucid dreams though (the kind where you actually rationalize that your are asleep and dreaming 'while' you are dreaming).

I had been working so hard on a Cad project at work some yrs ago that after going to bed one night, I completed a large part of the drawing in my dreams. Then I realized that I was dreaming and told myself I might as well let it go since I was never going to be able to 'save' the drawing.

Back