Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by oiler, Nov 6, 2011.

1. oiler

oiler Active Member

Need new front and rear brake pads for my 09 SG. Anyone ever use Kevlar Carbon Brake Pads? Just wondering how they compare to the stock pads.

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

My concern would be at what tempature do pads need to be at to work properly and is it higher than OE. If so then I would not advise using. For stopping while pads are cold will be compromised.

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Dbmg is correct...exotic material pads are made to prevent fade at high temperatures, developed for those in racing circles, but are also hard on the rotors and don't work well when cold.

Use the OEM or Lindall ones if you have brake dust issues...many riders here swear by them. Just my 2 cents.

4. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I use a Lyndell or equivalent pad on the front and a cheapy on the rear. I have never had a problem with the cheapy rear and figure if I get the same life from the rear pad as the rear tire I am happy. The cheapies I get on eBay, usually $30 or $40 for three sets of pads.
    Ken

5. oiler

oiler Active Member

Thanks...I will check out Lyndell pads or stick with HD stock pads.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Agree with the posts on pads, My 2 cents you cant beat OEM or Lyndall, sintered metals and Kevlar may be OK for racing apps but we do not need them for normal use and your rotors will thank u:s

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Brembo Frequently Asked Questions here is some good reading and if I am right Harley is using Brembo pads now?:s I lke their products for the high end imports that roll through our shop

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011