free website stats program Bought yellow craftsman jack | Harley Davidson Forums

Bought yellow craftsman jack

Im just a little unsure about how I should strap the bike down. I want to start doing some of my own maintenance. Just afraid to put the bike up. Anyone with photos of bike on jack. Any good tips ?

Make sure the bike frame is in full contact with the lift rails.

Lift slowly, making sure the bike is balanced. If not , lower the bike , relocate the jack and try again.
Once up, use the locking device if so equipted to lock the lift.

I dont any straps . I use a secondary scissor under the rear wheel or frame for support.

FYI ...My front wheel lifts 4 inches b4 the rear wheel comes off the ground.

Make sure the bike frame is in full contact with the lift rails.

Lift slowly, making sure the bike is balanced. If not , lower the bike , relocate the jack and try again.

I dont any straps . I use a secondary scissor under the rear wheel or frame for support.

FYI ...My front wheel lifts 4 inches b4 the rear wheel comes off the ground.

What am I missing? That doesn't sound balanced to me. If perfectly balanced, it seems like the wheels should come up together.

Due to cross braces under the trans on touring bikes, it's sometimes difficult to get a perfect balance and one wheel will lift off before the other one. As long as it isn't grossly unbalanced you should be oK.

I never use straps either, but you should :D

Due to cross braces under the trans on touring bikes, it's sometimes difficult to get a perfect balance and one wheel will lift off before the other one. As long as it isn't grossly unbalanced you should be oK.

Has anybody used the jack on a Sportster? Man, you guys are gutsy and Smitty, I salute you...Sitting on the Bike whilst in the air? Talk about a nosebleed seat! :newsmile071:

As Glider says, the cross braces get in the way.
It stilll takes quite a bit of force on the back end to push is down.
Once its up, I use a scissor jack under the tire to counter balance the bike.
I also have a 2x10 piece of wood that bolts on the scissor jack that can be placed under the frame that holds the rear axle, when I need to remove the rear tire. This makes for a very stable lift without all the fuss of placing straps.

Im just a little unsure about how I should strap the bike down. I want to start doing some of my own maintenance. Just afraid to put the bike up. Anyone with photos of bike on jack. Any good tips ?

Just watch out for the shock absorbers, I placed mine (Harbor Freight) across the shocks with 1/4" of heavy rubber pads on the rear under the frame to clear the shocks, the bike is balance well and I didn't use straps.

AGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Here I am giving advise on lifts.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT.

3AM last night I hear this loud crash. Check the house out , nothing.
Ok lets check the gargage. I open the door and there is my pride and joy, flat on its side.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT.

First impression was a few nicks and bruises.
Day time was more revealing.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT.

1) The throttle body got busted up real good by the lift.
2) I also have a nice 3 in dent in the gas tanks.

I feel much better today
I just came back from the HD dealer , new S&S carb on order for $1000.00
I will have it by Thursday.

The Moral to this story is:

Dont forget to use the lock on those lifts

I really appreciate everyone's help. Smitty thanks for the pics a big help. Still a little uneasy but will try and let you know how it goes. Thanks again to everyone!!!!!!

Back