free website stats program Boom Audio Communications Switch Kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Boom Audio Communications Switch Kit

LtDan1

I bought an 08 Road Glide from a non-HD motorcycle dealer -- I think out of the HD Motor Repo loop. Someone sometime had added this audio switch kit, which I think is HD part #77173-08 (according to the 2010 catalog).

IF there's anything left on the bike for this kit to switch -- I may keep it and tolerate the looks of the tank-panel (which I don't especially like). If there's not anything left on the bike for this kit to switch, then I'd just as soon lose the panel in favor of a stock one, and go with aftermarket helmet mounted bluetooth communication stuff -- Which I think will work as well and leave a lot less clutter on the bike.

If I'm not mistaken the bike came stock with the left hand controls (PTT, etc.) even though I don't guess those stock switches did anything in the stock configuration. So I think that part of the switch kit came on the bike without having to be added. What's been added, though, (at least) is the 7 pin connector panel on the fuel tank console.

I'm trying to understand what this does for me "as is" and in order to understand that, I need to be able to figure out what "as is" IS --

When playing with the stereo/audio unit settings, no "CB" option ever comes up, and there is no additional CB antenna. So I'm assuming I don't have a CB module in there anywhere.

Regarding intercom, there is no rear jack for that.

This leaves the possibilities of bike to bike (?) or the "hands free phone module."

I live centered between 3 dealerships and have been to 2 of them without being able to access anyone beyond the "service advisors" who don't seem to understand as much as I do, just with what little manual reading and tinkering I've done. They run back and forth between me and whoever they have in the back who is supposed to be competent -- and that hasn't netted me much in the way of any viable answers.

Short of dropping the fairing, how can I tell whether I have a hands free phone module, bike-to-bike, etc.?

It's entirely possible that it had some accessories that were removed during the course of the Repo-auction-wholesale-resale loop.

So is there an easy way to find out what's there to switch, and if nothing is there, is it simple and/or OK just to unplug this console panel and be done with it? Or might I need to "undo" a bunch of other stuff to get away with that?

Thanks!
PS: Glider -- Thanks for the excellent article on stage 1-4. Questions about some of that later, though I'm not sure where to post them.

Not sure why someone would install the tank panel and switches without putting in the CB module. With no second antenna though I would think it wouldnt have the CB. As far as I know if you unplug the panel and go back to stock you won't lose anything you dont have now.

I was hoping to figure out if maybe someone just "stole" the antenna, and the rest of it was still there. But CB doesn't come up as on option on the audio menu -- so -- that leads me to think there's no CB module left in there -- still wondering about intercom and/or bike to bike, and not sure if b2b is different than regular intercom -- I guess b2b would rely on CB capability; whereas "intercom" would be wired on the bike. While there's no rear jack for intercom, maybe someone took that and left the intercom module? How would I know?

With what little I have, should I at least be able to listen to the stereo through a headset rather than the speakers? Should it at least be offering that much?

Thanks!

Back