free website stats program Bolts or Bolt Covers | Harley Davidson Forums

Bolts or Bolt Covers

Drumrguy

Account Removed
Ok, one of things I want to do this winter is do something with the bolts on my bike, primarily on the engine and transmission. Wondering if I should just get the caps or some kind of cover or pony up for the bolt kits. I really do not want to have to pull it all apart so I was thinking of the covers, what has everyone else done with their scooter?

Mainly a matter of cost verses time and labor. Caps are quick, easy and cheap (if on sale, saw a kit w/ 35 pcs for $20 in clearance bin)...bolt kits are three times that and require patience and time (some of the stock torx hardware is :s...quite soft and subject to corrosion over time). Your ride, your choice. :small3d036:

I go with s/s for most pretty up applications (not where grade 5 or 8 req.). I buy them at the hardware store and file off the identification on top, then polish on the buff wheel. Not cheap, and quite time consuming, but that's what I like to do. I do a little here and there, took years on the evo, maybe not done yet. Just started on the t.c.

Since i live in north east scotland it rains a lot so i do prefer stainless steel i buy batches of hardware from an ebay supplier ive been using for years as unc and unf threads are hard to come by in the uk

Brian

I am just not sure what way to go. If I were going with stainless I would only use Diamond Engineering, that is what I put on my Shovelheads. The only place where I need to put chrome is rockers, rotors, transmission top and side cover. Maybe I should just go with bolts. Got several torque wrenches also so i am good there.

Most companies offer a show quality polished stainless bolt package that looks as good as chrome bolts but the difference comes in with the socket head allens. The inside where the allen key fits doesn't become rusted like the chrome bolts do.

Glider is absolutely correct, quality stainless does not rust, even if the inner allen/torx heads are "scuffed" while running them in (microscopically), whereas chrome does "nick" allowing moisure and oxidation (rust) to occur.

And we all hate rust inside an allen or torx head bolt I vote for ss

Back