free website stats program bolt in cam install | Harley Davidson Forums

bolt in cam install

jdaws

I'm looking at installing a new cam. I have a service manual and all the tools.
What is the procedure to cut the push-rods and replace them with adjustable ones? Can I reuse the push-rod tubes or will I need to get new ones? Will any adjustable push-rod work? Or is it better to pull the rocker covers and arms.
I'm just looking for a detailed parts and service procedure and I know that if I ask you will show me the way.:)
Looking at the andrews 37H buy the way!

You just need a small set of bolt cutters you can get from sears, just make sure the load is off the push rods before you cut them, but if you don't mind taking the tank & rockers off, then you can use the stock push rods, I like using the stock push rods when ever I can, they will never go out of adjustment and puts $150.00 back in your pocket. You can get the cam compartment gasket kit from harley, has everything in it you'll need, even the bearings for the cam plate, and rocker gaskets. I personally like using all harley parts in my harley including cams but that's me.
These are the adjustable push rods I prefer but if your going andrews cams you can get a set of their push rods from them when you order the cams the quality is comparable.
Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Thanks for the info guys!
I can just slide the push rod tubes together, cut the push rods, install the adjustables and reuse the tubes, right?
I just might pull the tank and rockers, reuse the pushrods and save the ($) like you said Chopper.

My personal feeling is that if you have the time, facilities and inclination, pulling the top end off and getting that done at the SAME time is the best way to go. That way your heads, valves, rings, and cylinders as well as all the stuff in the cam chest are all back to like new condition. However, many of us do not have the time and money to do that. So adjustable pushrods are a good alternative that allows the heads, valve covers, etc. to be left undisturbed while just the cam chest work is done. Sort of one of those trade-off decisions.

Definitely include new lifters and the Torrington inner bearings in the plan though.

TQ

Although fairly new to hd motorcycles about 5 years i still use the same procedures when doing serious work on a bike take the seat and the tank off to get better access to the bike pute the seat and tank in the other shed out of harms way
i have never considerd adjustable push rods as its something that could go out of adjustment

Brian

Although fairly new to hd motorcycles about 5 years i still use the same procedures when doing serious work on a bike take the seat and the tank off to get better access to the bike pute the seat and tank in the other shed out of harms way
i have never considerd adjustable push rods as its something that could go out of adjustment

Brian
I probably used the wrong term Brian, I should have said "lock nut comes loose", if they are properly torqued that should never happen, but working in a dealership I have seen it.
When the lock nut comes loose, they do "go out of adjustment".

I do understand how it could loosen off and go out of correct adjustment and using them will save time
But im in the position of having a spare bike so i can take my time to do anything im doing on the bike but i often have to wait for 4 weeks for parts to arrive as my bikes are older and im way out in the middle of nowhere

Brian

Yes, the quick installs come with new half parts of the tubes & new clips that works with the old tubes to give you more room to adjust them.

Back