Billet reuseable oil filter

Discussion in 'Oil' started by Beer Hound, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Beer Hound

Beer Hound Member

Has anyone used a reuseable oil filter like this and is it worth me putting it on. It was free from a Buddy of mine. The bike is a 93 Heritage softail classic and it will fit. Also what would I clean the filter with? Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      52.6 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Wonder what micron it is rated at, as for cleaning, may use brake clean followed by hot water and air dry, Capital Jack

3. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I am a strong believer in using disposable oil filters that you can through away when their useful (not usable) life is over. But at lease you are not considering using this one on a TC. As long as the filter you are considering using will filter down to the micron rating required of your engine and will handle the flow required, go ahead.

TQ

4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

It is a long time since i last saw a reuseable oil filter in a petrol engine i have got used to the disposable type and i dont think i would be tempted it makes enough mess just removing the throw away ones but as i remember its a real pest to fully clean a reuseable oil filter
    as i remember had to wash them through with kerosene or petrol to get the element clean then left to air dry

Brian

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Indeed, and now the car manufactures are using cartridge filters what a mess, they say they are more user friendly LOL

6. Beer Hound

Beer Hound Member

I was thinking the same thing, toss the little particles instead of running them back through but I wasn't sure. I think I'll polish it up and hang it on the wall till somebody needs it. Thanks guys!

7. sprinklerfitter669

sprinklerfitter669 Junior Member

I wouldnt mess with it...i would rather pay the $ 15

Besides, he must of known something to give it away for free :s

8. Beer Hound

Beer Hound Member

He is building a bike and decided to go with a different filter. That is kinda funny though!

9. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

I would think with the expense of engine damage that could occur if something went wrong, using the H.D. factory oil filter is the only way to go. Especially if put back together improperly and there was a loss of oil pressure or piece of dirt clogged a passage.