free website stats program Bike went BOOM! (and then my pants caught on fire...) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike went BOOM! (and then my pants caught on fire...)

Just a fast update. Got the heat shield on that side off. It is beyond repair it looks like. Appears that the entire weld joining the Y splitter off the rear head to the left side down pipe split, only the rest of the mounts and what not were even holding it that close together. Got a couple of quotes for used stock header pipe assembly for "about $100". Good price?

Check out Dolts cost in post #3.

So, another update, 3 weeks later.
I finally had the time to pull the exhaust all the way off. It's beyond toast. The rear header was...shattered. But, more importantly, BOTH of the mounts, the one on top of the starter, AND the one below the transmission filler, were broke. Pics included. Getting a new one for the starter shouldn't be that hard, but what do I do about the one on the side? I stared at it for about an hour and I just cannot see a way of getting that busted bracket off without taking the oil fill spout off, and that thing looks either integral to the trans case or the oil pan itself. Yeah, I can see the bolts, but it looks like a ton of dissassembly.
More importantly, the rear head looks a bit cooked. And can i leave it like that, uncovered, or should I put something over/in the ports until i can get new parts?
Short version, just how much trouble am I in?

Attachments

• IMG-20120922-00137.jpg
    IMG-20120922-00137.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-20120922-00138.jpg
    IMG-20120922-00138.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-20120922-00141.jpg
    IMG-20120922-00141.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG-20120922-00140.jpg
    IMG-20120922-00140.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20120922-00145.jpg
    IMG-20120922-00145.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 70
So, another update, 3 weeks later.
I finally had the time to pull the exhaust all the way off. It's beyond toast. The rear header was...shattered. But, more importantly, BOTH of the mounts, the one on top of the starter, AND the one below the transmission filler, were broke. Pics included. Getting a new one for the starter shouldn't be that hard, but what do I do about the one on the side? I stared at it for about an hour and I just cannot see a way of getting that busted bracket off without taking the oil fill spout off, and that thing looks either integral to the trans case or the oil pan itself. Yeah, I can see the bolts, but it looks like a ton of dissassembly.
More importantly, the rear head looks a bit cooked. And can i leave it like that, uncovered, or should I put something over/in the ports until i can get new parts?
Short version, just how much trouble am I in?

If it is going to sit I would cover it up, and clean it good before reassembly

Thought so...stuff an old sock in the holes or something?

Yep, try rags or Steel wool:s Now is a good time to chase the stud threads or replace them

Last edited by a moderator:
From your picture, I think you are referring to item #27 on the att. link. Only 2 allen head bolts hold it to the trans case. Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2004 Harley Davidson Street Bike FLHRS ROAD KING® CUSTOM Parts List
A lot of what you need is available on ebay for lots less than dealer prices. You may want to go with a true dual set up, or stay with the blended factory style exhaust. You're not in trouble, just gonna have to spend some $$ and do some searching. Don't forget new exhaust gaskets, and I recommend the tapered type, not the mesh type Screamin' Eagle. Keep us informed on how you're doing.

Last edited:
Bracket will come easy. I woud not recomment the tapered exhaust gaskets as they can compress into the exhaust port interfering with flow. The SS mesh gaskets will not.

Bracket will come easy. I would not recommend the tapered exhaust gaskets as they can compress into the exhaust port interfering with flow. The SS mesh gaskets will not.

No edit function??:small3d031: Never quoted my own post before. Actually there are four bolts that hold the pipe bracket to the trans; two at the bottom not shown in the Ronnie's illustration.

No edit function??:small3d031: Never quoted my own post before. Actually there are four bolts that hold the pipe bracket to the trans; two at the bottom not shown in the Ronnie's illustration.

If you ever do it again and want to Rid it,,, just close out the thread and go back to start over,,, I have done the same thing and closing it does work.:bigsmiley23:

signed....BUBBIE

Back