free website stats program Bike Week Weather | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Week Weather

R_W_B

This year it may not be -just- be the Iron Horse Saloon. The trip up from West and South may bring you some Iron Horse smoke. Hopefully the worst is over and better conditions ahead. Here is Wed Night's news flash. (Mims is near the coast)

--begin news
The Iron Horse Fire, straddling the Volusia-Brevard county line, has moved swiftly since Monday through rural areas between Oak Hill and Mims. Dry brush and foliage, from hard freezes this winter, provided fuel.

In Volusia County, flames left charred ground and tree trunks burned at least 20 feet upward. Naked palmetto bushes looked like blackened pieces of ginger root twisted on the ground.

Volusia Fire Services Battalion Cmdr. Rhett Bradley looked for damage along property, which belongs to the Miami Corp., owner of 57,00 acres in Volusia and Brevard counties.

"The rain knocked it down pretty good," Bradley said of the fire. "[But] there are still a lot of hot spots."
---End news

Hopefully the trip there won't be hampered with slow traffic due to poor visibility. If the wind would die down some it would help. Maybe we will get a few showers over it, since it is awful dry. Otherwise Spring is here in Florida and late afternoon and evening temps are great now. It's only in the mid 80's at high noon. Mowed the grass yesterday and barely broke a sweat.

I know I'm leaving very early Sat morning and coming be it smoke or broke.

How appropriate for Bike Week that the fire is named Iron Horse??

Should it be seen as a positive or a negative?
WAP.gif

Hmmm at this point I'm not sure, but just in case you didn't know, there is no area or subdivision named Iron Horse around that part. Here is the low down on how the fire was named.

Turns out a Florida Division of Forestry employee in Seminole County planning to head to the Iron Horse Saloon on North U.S. 1 in Ormond Beach for Bike Week saw the column of smoke Monday and feared his weekend plans would be doomed, said Cliff Frazier, spokesman for the Florida Division of Forestry.

So the foresty worker started calling the blaze the Iron Horse fire and the name stuck.

Back