Bike Security

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by cromwell, Jul 19, 2009.

1. cromwell

cromwell Active Member

Ok, now that I got my bike here in Ireland. What devices do you guys recommend I use to secure it. Will it is parked at the house is not so much an issue as it is secured in a garage. My main concern is when I am out and about.

Thanks

Tony

2. just4u

just4u Banned

The only one I know of if they did get away with it, then you could fine it with GPS very Quickly. This system would be LO-Jack.

3. Stormrider51

Stormrider51 Active Member

My RK has a locking fork and ignition switch. I rely on those anytime my bike isn't in the garage here at home. There is an alarm system available but I question the usefulness of those. Nobody over here pays much attention to vehicle alarms going off because they go off all the time. I try to park where the bike will be visible to me if I'm in a restaurant or whatever and I routinely carry several reasons that attempting to steal my bike will be a bad idea should I catch someone trying but the bottom line is that if someone really wants your bike they will probably get it. That's what insurance is for, I guess.

John

4. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

My wife and I went to a show and when we came out I found that someone had been messing with my bike. The ignition lock cover was open and one of the saddle bags was open. Nothing was missing and the bike wasn't stolen but It was very upsetting and I don't want any trouble in the future. I purchased a SCORPION alarm with a remote pendant. It looks pretty good and I will be installing it this weekend. I sure wish people would respect other peoples property and then this would not be necessary. Check out the link below.

Scorpio Alarms Motorcycle Products

5. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

357 mag. !

6. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Always use the fork and/or ignition lock to deter casual thieves and joyriders. Always park in a well lit area, preferably where you can see the bike. Carry insurance for the pros since if they really want your bike, they are going to get it.

7. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Second Doctor D...but in addition, recommend disc lock and heavy chain wrapped around solid object...as well as setting your Security Alarm if you have it. Beyond that, if a PRO wants your bike, he is going to get it...that is why you make it difficult for the lesser thieves who look for an easy target. Generic bike cover also helps...but may hint that you are going to be away for a while so it is optional.

8. tgood

tgood Member

.45ACP here! :mgun

but for those times I'm not around, which disc lock is the best?
    I see some neat ones but have any of you ever forgotten it was on and tried to ride away?
    How much did it damage the bike?

9. Thorns

Thorns Active Member

Take it wherever you go. Keep it where you can see it. Buy a H@nda cover!

Thorns

10. motordad

motordad Member

I've owned Hondas for over 32 years ending with a 1800 GoldWing I sold last October. The last post I still found very funny.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009