free website stats program Bike Protection While Trailering | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Protection While Trailering

I guess I'm in the minority here. Would you use this stuff if you were riding your bikes down? Probably not. You'd just enjoy the trip and give the bike a good washing either down there or when you get home. Why do anything different because you're trailering? Most every hotel or motel I saw down there had a hose available or you could just hit one of the bikini bike washes!

As mentioned, in an open trailer I've heard that you should NEVER use a cover unless you're planning on repainting your bike! If you've got flaps behind your rear tires, I'd think those and the actual tow vehicle would do a pretty good job of keeping stuff off the trailered bikes.

Have a great, safe trip!

When I lived in Florida I learned a little trick for love bugs.
Coat the front of your bike and or truck/cars with some wd-40, everything wipes right off with a rag! :bigsmiley11:

Scott

Luv bugs are the scourge of the south, they can be really bad here on the gulf coast. I have never used WD, but it makes sense. Bounce dryer sheets work really well for removing the bugs. Wet em down real well and gentle rubbing will do the trick and rinse, rinse, rinse.

A couple of years back I trailered my bikes down to Florida in an open trailer we drove through the night in a heavy rain storm, as a result the bike was really dirty when we arrived and the aluminum wheels and front forks showed signs of light pitting probaly have salt in the air from riding down the eastern seaboard carried through the rain I would try that product if I was heading back down to Florida in an open trailer.

I would recommend taking a basic tool box with you, things on the bike tend to loosen up a bit when trailering. :s Go over the bike very thoroughly when you arrive. Learned that last summer. LOL

Also if you have security on you're bike don't forget to put it in transport mode when you load it, or you might get down there ready to ride and fine a dead battery to deal with.
Have a great trip.

one extra tip if you dont know you bikes password or how to set transport mode, Zip tie or attach the fob so it wont be lost and cannot be seen, and if its a bagger put in the bag and lock the bags, this way the bike knows the fob is near by and wont set the alarm
If you don't know your PIN number, shame on you, but you don't need it to put it in transport mode anyways, there are two punchout cards in the back of your owners manual, the "how to" transport mode should be kept in the glove box of your hauling vehicle at all times and the disarm with personal PIN should be keeped in your wallet or purse at all times. I'm not saying you carry a pures, I just put that in for any ladies that might or for the people from the UK that carry man bags:)
In transport mode your security is armed but the motion detector is not enabled, if the FOB is with the bike anyone could unstrap the bike drive it off and if you have a siren or pager they would be useless in the middle of the night at a motel.

TRANSPORT MODE
It is possible to arm the security system without enabling the motion detector for one ignition cycle. This allows the vehicle to be picked up and moved in an armed state, however, any attempt to start the engine will trigger the alarm.
To Enter Transport Mode
1. Turn the Ignition Switch to IGNITION.
2. Set the Engine Stop Switch to OFF.
3. With an assigned fob within range, turn the Ignition Switch from IGNITION to ACCESS.
4. Simultaneously press both the left and the right turn signal switches.This must be done within five seconds of turning the Ignition Switch to ACCESS.
5. After the turn signals flash once, turn the Ignition Switch to OFF and the module is armed.
6. The turn signals flash three times to confirm module arming in transfer mode for one ignition cycle.

To Exit Transport Mode
Return the system to normal operation:
1. With the fob present, turn the Ignition Switch to IGNITION to disarm the HFSM. To cancel the transport mode, set the Engine Stop Switch to RUN.

Back