free website stats program Bike not starting when in gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike not starting when in gear

alleyking

I just added a TFI and new brake/clutch leavers to my 07 road king. I had to loosen the clutch cable a bit to get the original leaver off to install the new one.

I now notice that I cannot start the bike while its in gear with the clutch pulled in... I have to put it in neutural first. I am wondering if i dont have the clutch cable adjusted enough?
Is there a switch somewhere that I am missing?

Thanks

Biglew hit the nail on the head BUT make sure the levers you bought has the tab to depress the switch first off on the clutch side.
I think this may be your problem. Only police levers from previous years will work because they had this feature a long time, the standard lever from years past will not work for you in this case and will give you the problem you are having now, it has to be levers for an 07 or later.

Well guys, you are correct as usual. I took the lever off of the clutch, and compaired it to the stock lever. The new lever does not have the little extened piece that can depress the switch. Looks like i am taking them back!

Thanks guys

Well guys, you are correct as usual. I took the lever off of the clutch, and compaired it to the stock lever. The new lever does not have the little extened piece that can depress the switch. Looks like i am taking them back!

Thanks guys

Good call, real issue is you want the interlock as it is merely a safety issue...most of us have learned without, but sometimes hands slip and personally most all like to start the bike in neutral, just one less load on the starter (if you have clutch drag)...

Last edited:
this thread was timed perfectly....I just installed pullback bars and noticed my scoot wouldn't start in gear. didn't lose any sleep at first but it kinda bugged me....adjusted the clutch perch and now we're good to go. thanks again for all the help.

Back