big sucker install issue

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by scibby, Nov 19, 2009.

1. scibby

scibby New Member

well, I just installed the big sucker- while installing one of the three air cleaner mounting studs it stripped out the threads in the throttle body. the other 2 mounting studs are secure and tight, but that one stud is lose. at this time I completed the install anyway and the filter seems to be on tight, im gonna do some riding and hopefully I won't have any issues, but if I do i'll buy a thread repair kit. anyone experience this or have any thoughts?
  2. ooheritage

ooheritage Active Member

can you not drill and tap to the next size larger?
  3. silentflyer

silentflyer Active Member

Considering the cost of the part I might think about having a machine shop do the Heli-Coil.... screw up would be BIG $$$ from the MOCO parts bin....

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Can you put a NUT behind the striped out and reattach spacer?
    (using a longer 1/4x20 inserted into spacer end to reach thru to the NUT) ? OR is it in a bottomed out spot....
    I had to modify my carb on dyna for the same problem

OPTIONS YOU CAN MAKE IT A STUD the long threaded tube-spacer : the threaded 1/4x20 end will remove.... You'll probable ruin the threads but i put mine in a vice got it out (quick).... toss it away..... then tapped a 5/16 STUD into carb for that extension .... worked fine for me..BUT,i think i found a 5/16 into 1/4 stud ... either way it will work.
    IF NOT finding a 1/4 to 5/16 stud.... tap out spacer end from 1/4x20 to 5/16x18 to match the NEW STUD stud... careful thin ice...