free website stats program big sucker install issue | Harley Davidson Forums

big sucker install issue

scibby

well, I just installed the big sucker- while installing one of the three air cleaner mounting studs it stripped out the threads in the throttle body. the other 2 mounting studs are secure and tight, but that one stud is lose. at this time I completed the install anyway and the filter seems to be on tight, im gonna do some riding and hopefully I won't have any issues, but if I do i'll buy a thread repair kit. anyone experience this or have any thoughts?

Considering the cost of the part I might think about having a machine shop do the Heli-Coil.... screw up would be BIG $$$ from the MOCO parts bin....

well, I just installed the big sucker- while installing one of the three air cleaner mounting studs it stripped out the threads in the throttle body. the other 2 mounting studs are secure and tight, but that one stud is lose. at this time I completed the install anyway and the filter seems to be on tight, im gonna do some riding and hopefully I won't have any issues, but if I do i'll buy a thread repair kit. anyone experience this or have any thoughts?

Can you put a NUT behind the striped out and reattach spacer?
(using a longer 1/4x20 inserted into spacer end to reach thru to the NUT) ? OR is it in a bottomed out spot....
I had to modify my carb on dyna for the same problem

OPTIONS YOU CAN MAKE IT A STUD the long threaded tube-spacer : the threaded 1/4x20 end will remove.... You'll probable ruin the threads but i put mine in a vice got it out (quick).... toss it away..... then tapped a 5/16 STUD into carb for that extension .... worked fine for me..BUT,i think i found a 5/16 into 1/4 stud ... either way it will work.
IF NOT finding a 1/4 to 5/16 stud.... tap out spacer end from 1/4x20 to 5/16x18 to match the NEW STUD stud... careful thin ice...

signed....bubbie

Back