Best sounding exhaust setup for XL883?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by DaveInPA, Aug 20, 2008.

1. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Frozen Account

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 XL883. What would you guys recommend for a new exhaust system for the best sound as well as some performance increase? I guess I'm looking at pipes, mufflers, and an air cleaner.

Fire away your choices! Links would be great too :)

2. ashenfang

ashenfang Member

well....I would say the RUSH slip on's have a nice sound and give some performance increase. I put them on my XL883 and now it sounds like a harley instead of a moped. They have a nice deep sound to them and have a good bark to them when you get on it, but at cruise tame down to a nice rumble. You can put on the rush slip on's up to a 2" baffle with out needing to remap, now when you change your air cleaner too, a remap would be in order.

3. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Frozen Account

Oh and my bike has mid mount controls so most of the Vance & Hines stuff is out of the question. :(

4. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Frozen Account

Another question. If I install a new air cleaner and exhaust, is it safe to ride the bike the 20 miles to my dealer to have the EFI remapped?

5. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Frozen Account

Oh ok great, I always saw the pictures of their pipes on bikes with forward controls, and I thought maybe the pipes were in the way of the mid controls.

I like the look of the short shots, so that is probably what I will go wtih. Now, why would I want quiet baffles? A good sound is what this is about, I don't want to quiet it down!

As far as an air cleaner, I really like the look of the Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather. Would that be a good pair with the V&H shortshots?

6. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Frozen Account

ECM reflash? Is that what the dealer does? What should I get? The V&H fuelpak or something else?

7. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Frozen Account

Ok great. I think I'll do the short shots, the heavy breather air cleaner, and the TFI. Now, how difficult is the work? I'm talking the pipes, the cleaner, the mapping, all that stuff. I have pretty limited mechanical abilities. Should I have a mechanic do it? Will I need a service manual to do the work?

8. Lee Stahli

Lee Stahli Member

Hobbit, how does the TFI work? Is it truly plug and play with no adjustments?

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

10. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Frozen Account

Here's the thing. Why wouldn't I just install the pipes and air cleaner myself and then have a mechanic remap the EFI? I can't see spending $200-$300 on a remapping device that I'm only going to use once. Any thoughts?