free website stats program Best rider passenger intercom review | Harley Davidson Forums

Best rider passenger intercom review

R_W_B

I am looking around the net at rider passenger intercoms. Have never owned one before and don't know squat about them. Got bad reviews on some of the earlier Scala's, said sound was bad, had to yell to activate the vox and the vox deactivated too soon and had to yell again to finish. Got a little better reviews on the Scala G4 and some Sena's. Don't know anything about Chatterbox. Appreciate all info on experience with this type equipment and what you would recommend.

I am looking around the net at rider passenger intercoms. Have never owned one before and don't know squat about them. Got bad reviews on some of the earlier Scala's, said sound was bad, had to yell to activate the vox and the vox deactivated too soon and had to yell again to finish. Got a little better reviews on the Scala G4 and some Sena's. Don't know anything about Chatterbox. Appreciate all info on experience with this type equipment and what you would recommend.
My riding buddies and I tried two different intercom systems before we found the SENA SMH-10 system and we all agree that it's the best we've used so far. We use them for rider-to-rider communication, but they can be used for rider-to-passenger as well. The do have voice-activated capability but we don't use it because it's so easy to tap the large intercom button on the side of the helmet to activate the intercom. It also allows for connection to an MP3 player via cable or bluetooth as well as cell phone connection via bluetooth. When listening to music and the intercom is activated, the music is muted as long as the intercom is active. Once the intercom is shut off, the music resumes. If you use an mp3 player with bluetooth capability, it will actually pause the music while the intercom is active. Otherwise it just mutes it and the song keeps playing. We tried the helmet-mount speaker version, but then we switched to the earbud version and we like that better. Most of us use custom earplugs with MP3 built in, so that was the perfect solution. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have here or via PM. Good luck in your search.

I see this at One Stop Moto, looks like a good unit, doesn't show it on the helmet though. Does it glue to the outside of the helmet or is there a clip you slide up inside. My helmet will work but my wifes has the lining glued hard to the shell.
I am also wondering how the mic attached to the arm works with a full face helmet ? Does it go on the outside of the helmet or inside ?

There is a clamp that slips under the lining of the helmet if you have that ability. If you do not, as in the case of your wife's helmet, then you can use the optional adhesive. I would be a bit apprehensive about using an adhesive, but that is an option. The mike boom slides in under the helmet from the side so that it can be placed correctly. It works fine with a full-face. I changed over to the earbud version of the clamp (SMH-A0304 ) though which has the microphone on a wire that is a bit easier to deal with. It also comes with a boom mic if you want to use it.

........< cut out >......... I changed over to the earbud version of the clamp (SMH-A0304 ) though which has the microphone on a wire that is a bit easier to deal with. It also comes with a boom mic if you want to use it.

Thanks masher, I orderd the SENA SMH-10 dual pack, got it for $250 at cyclebots and free shipping. Sounds like the best of all options and I like the manual in case the vox doesn't always work right.
So you say the music (or phone) works better with the ear bud kit ?
Doesn't wearing some plug in the ear headphone plugs impead hearing traffic horns or sirens ?

You are welcome, R W B. We found the vox was a little too sensitive and would sometimes come on when nobody wanted to speak. Usually from wind noise or something similar. The manual activation is perfect and so easy. I will just speak for me with regard to the earbud kit though I know most of the other people agree. I found the perfect combination of noise reduction, ability to hear the intercom and my music was the earbud version with my custom earplugs that have the mp3 wires built into them. I get very little wind noise, exhaust pipe noise, etc, and I can actually turn DOWN the music a bit which lets me hear the traffic noise easier than just listening to music/intercom through the SMH speakers with or without earplugs. I have tried all combinations and this one works best for me. You will need to experiment to see what's best for you and your wife, and you both will find the right combos.

You are welcome, R W B. We found the vox was a little too sensitive and would sometimes come on when nobody wanted to speak. Usually from wind noise or something similar. The manual activation is perfect and so easy. I will just speak for me with regard to the earbud kit though I know most of the other people agree. I found the perfect combination of noise reduction, ability to hear the intercom and my music was the earbud version with my custom earplugs that have the mp3 wires built into them. I get very little wind noise, exhaust pipe noise, etc, and I can actually turn DOWN the music a bit which lets me hear the traffic noise easier than just listening to music/intercom through the SMH speakers with or without earplugs. I have tried all combinations and this one works best for me. You will need to experiment to see what's best for you and your wife, and you both will find the right combos.
I ordered the dual set today with the extra 303 earplug adapter.. what kind of earplug speaker do you use?

Back