free website stats program Best exhaust note/performance for a 1200 | Harley Davidson Forums

Best exhaust note/performance for a 1200

Hello all:

Just bought my first harley, a 1200 low, and it has factory exhaust on it. Any thoughts on the best way to enhance exhaust note/performance. Kicking around vance & hines vs. screaming eagle options.

Also, is switching the exhaust out on these a manageable job for the do-it-yourselfer types, or best to let the dealer do it.

Thanks.

youll get many opinions on exhaust sound .. best to go some place where you can hear a few options and decide..

putting slip ons is nothing .. if you go with air cleaner also then you will need a fuel tuner

I had Rinehart slip-ons on my '07 1200C and absolutely loved them. I agree, you will get many opinions on what exhaust sounds better. I picked mine up off eBay, and saved around $350. I am not very mechanically inclined and I managed to put them on myself. I also got a Stage-1 kit and had it remapped by HD.

Exhaust note on a Harley is purely subjective and personal, like the clothing you wear, one size does not fit all. That said, I like my Drag pipes with baffles...and yes they are loud, but quiet enough to not attract the attention of the local "constable", and yes loud pipe do save lives. I can't tell you how many people I have seen wanting to turn, but when they hear me coming, I see their eyes in their rear view or cross street nod their head from their cell phone slumber.

Yeah, slip on are definately easy, I put my Screamin Eagle 2's on in just a few min, and love how they sound, but Ive also taken the baffles out of them. But I absolutely LOVE the sound of the V&H Short Shots. But thats just me. Its all about personalization.

My wife's Nightster has V&H Short Shots (no baffles), a Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner Kit, and remapped. Sounds awesome; actually better than my Fatboy...

I did all my own work on my 2006 883, having never worked on a bike before, wiith the help of the crew on this forum, V&H straightshot slipons, SE stage 1 air cleaner and even rejetted it myself. piece of cake, just don't rush any particular portion of the job.

i put the vance and hines short shots staggered on last night by my self (taking the old exaust off and putting the new on) in about an hour to and hour and a half (minus the trip to get a star wrench) and they are awesome! ive had people today already telling me "now it sounds like a real harley". they sound and look amazing (got the black ones on my 09 black and orange nightster) and to go with them i got the power commander v and s.e. stage 1 intake all of that took me about 2 to 3 hours total.

Stay away from the Python 2 into 1 pipe. Even though it has a narly sound and did add horse power to my bike, I have blown out 4 baffles. I tryed to complain to Drag Specialties about it , but it just fell on def ears.

Note and performance don't necessarily go together. Duals sound best--the most "Harley" sounding. I liked my SE II's, but the newer SE's aren't as nice sounding. Although most aftermarket duals will give better performance tha stock, the best performing pipes are 2-1's. They have a different sound or rythem, not as nice as duals.

I now have Python 2-1--haven't blown the baffles out yet. Sound is ok, but nothing to write home about.

Back