free website stats program Best clutch practice | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Best clutch practice

I am always in my "get-a-way" gear when I feel the need.

3 weeks after I got my bike, was at a red light, right lane, to my left is the left turn lane, I am the first one at the light. A lady in a minvan pulls up behind me and is about 3 or 4 feet off my tail, I turn to make eye contact with her, she has no clue I am there, to busy yelling at 2 kids running around in the minivan and 2 dogs. I knew this was not good, I rolled up past the white line to give more distance put keep my front tire out of traffic.
The left turn light turns green and she hits the gas and rides right up my rear fender, It happen so quick I had no time to try and pull away and If I did, I would have pulled into the on-coming left turn lane. I was fine, new rear fender, lip light and a complete inspection. The LEO handed her 2 tickects and a talking to about the Kids not buckled.

So I trust no body when they are behinde me, in gear and ready to go if needed. No one behind, I will give the hands a rest along with the clutch.

I shift into neutral when I want to give my hand a rest. Can't say I do it a lot. It really depends on how tired I am, is it a particularly long light.....that sort of thing. I don't really consider doing it as a means to reduce wear and tear on the clutch cable, etc. I don't doubt that is an added benefit but not something I've really considered.

Totally agree that you should make sure the traffic behind you has stopped before going into neutral. I also try to give myself an "escape" route as I pull to a stop. If no one is behind me, I check six often to monitor traffic coming up from behind. I usually put the bike back in gear if traffic approaches.

Ever been to Ontario?I think southern Ontario drivers could challenge for worst drivers in North America:52:

I don't know Steve, I would put the Florida drivers up against anybody.They have no problems turning right from the far left lane or vice versa.Eighty-five miles a hour seems to be to slow and it seems that two wheels are targets.

I ALWAYS keep the bike in gear if there is not already a car stopped behind me and well aware of my presence.

Like myself, I believe that there are a few other pilots on this board. In aviation, we refer to "situational awareness" and developing a "scan" to monitor our surroundings. It helps to establish your own natural scan... mine is "forward, left, left mirror, instrumentation (speedo, fuel level, warning lights), right mirror, right, forward..." This becomes second nature, even when I'm stopped at a light. Keeping your bike ready to respond to your immediate inputs is critical on our busy streets.

As much as you think you might have time to get out of the way with the bike in neutral, you just don't. I know that this thread began with a more technical focus, but I will gladly go through a few more clutch cables and components.

Know the risks... minimize the risks... and ride safe.

1bikestop.gif

Last edited:
I guess whether to shift into neutral or stay in first is an individual thing. Years ago, when I took the safety course, they advised against shifting into neutral in case you needed to get out of the way, fast. I adhere to that practice, and thank god, to date, haven't had to use it..

I have noticed a number of riders shift their bike into neutral while sitting at a stop light. I think this is to keep their clutch hand from getting tired.
Is this a good practice?
Does one way put more stress on your clutch?
Thanks for your response.
I usually shift into neutral and keep an eye on my mirrors to avoid being rear-ended. Having stated what I usually do, the safest and best method is to keep the bike in first gear with the clutch disengaged and an eye on the mirrors. This method causes less wear than in a car which uses a throw-out bearing that spins with the clutch disengaged.

I put it into neutral for three reasons:
1) To give my hand a rest.
2) To give the cable and clutch springs a rest.
3) (and most important) The light won't change unless I take it out of gear.:D

It seems to me that to get away from a rear-ender at a light I would have to pull into cross traffic so I'd get hit one way or the other. It seems that everyone knows someone who was rear-ended at a light but a lot more people have been broad-sided in the intersection. I do flash my brake lights until someone has stopped behind me.

I ALWAYS keep the bike in gear if there is not already a car stopped behind me and well aware of my presence.

Like myself, I believe that there are a few other pilots on this board. In aviation, we refer to "situational awareness" and developing a "scan" to monitor our surroundings. It helps to establish your own natural scan... mine is "forward, left, left mirror, instrumentation (speedo, fuel level, warning lights), right mirror, right, forward..." This becomes second nature, even when I'm stopped at a light. Keeping your bike ready to respond to your immediate inputs is critical on our busy streets.

As much as you think you might have time to get out of the way with the bike in neutral, you just don't. I know that this thread began with a more technical focus, but I will gladly go through a few more clutch cables and components.

Know the risks... minimize the risks... and ride safe.

1bikestop.gif

My Gosh...That's as strongly as I can put it on this forum whose rules I respect enormously. But what can anyone do about a lunatic like that guy in the pickup :bigsmiley19:? Maybe the rider's in 1st or neutral and maybe he's watching his mirrors but it looks like there was no time to go anywhere from that clip. The bike's first at the line and he can't go anywhere without taking a chance with the cross field traffic (tho' there doens't seem much of that on the clip) and that's if he's got enough notice and presence of mind to take evasive action. Scary footage!

As for me I put it in neutral when stopped at a long light with stationary traffic behind me that knows I'm there. Gives my hand and kit a breather.

Back