free website stats program Bent my engine guard | Harley Davidson Forums

Bent my engine guard

Ozzie82

I was riding last night and a bull dog ran out in front of me and of course hit him running about 40, did not wreck, I stopped to look at the bike and I hit him hard enough to kill the dog. I hit with my front wheel and engine guard and noticed this morning that it bent the guard on the left side and will have to be replaced. Has any one had this done to them and is there any other hidden thing to look for damages? Any advice appreciated.

sad as it is the dog died, locate the owner, they are responsible for the damage as dog was running loose.

Good job of not going down.
When you remove the bent guard, look carefully at the frame where the top center bolt goes in. That area sometimes rips around the threads.

I would check that front wheel for any warpage and/or loose spokes as well as checking the brakes lines for damage. Glad to hear you made it through without harm, could have been much worse.

I would assume it is a violation to let pets run out into the street. Think what your attitude would be if you had crashed and severely damaged your bike and yourself. You are due the cost for any damages from the pet owner. Glad you are OK.

I was riding last night and a bull dog ran out in front of me and of course hit him running about 40, did not wreck, I stopped to look at the bike and I hit him hard enough to kill the dog. I hit with my front wheel and engine guard and noticed this morning that it bent the guard on the left side and will have to be replaced. Has any one had this done to them and is there any other hidden thing to look for damages? Any advice appreciated.

Check the tab on the frame where the top of the bar attaches in the center. When you hit on the bar, a lot of time you bend the tab too.

When your sitting on the bike grab the front brake and push down on the front forks. If you feel or hear any binding the forks may be bent and will need to be strightened or replaced. You may also have damaged the fork seals so watch for leaking from that area.

Back