free website stats program Belt Chirp? | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt Chirp?

96custom

I am new to Harley ownership, so I will be having quite a few questions. Anyway, mine is a 1996 Softail Custom just so you know what I'm talking about, and when I give it throttle while rolling, not at a stand still, I am getting a chirping sound around the rear wheel area. Is this normal or should i be concerned? The only time I can actually hear it is when I turn my head and listen for it, or when I'm next to something that the noise bounces off of. I just don't want anything to be going wrong with my bike and me not know about it.

Thanks everyone,
Josh

Old school trick take a bar of ivory soap rub down your belt dodnt miss the front and rear edge on the belt it works,jel

Hobbit, thanks for the quick reply. I'll check for any kind of damage. I'm certain it's coming from the belt side of the bike on the rear, so i assume it's coming from the belt, but I'm not sure.

Jel, thanks for the tip. I will try and perform that little trick you mentioned. If it's not something that's hurting the bike, then I'm not too worried about it. I just didn't want the belt to be too loose or something to fall off the bike.

Thank you both for the replies. It's much appreciated.

Josh

Glider, thank you very much for that link. I am going to try the cleaning thing before I try to align everything first. If that doesn't work, then I will start digging!! This forum is a great wealth of knowledge, because of folks like you guys, thanks. :small3d026:

Josh

Back