free website stats program battery volts | Harley Davidson Forums

battery volts

kpstar212

I have read several different articles on batterys and I am looking to see what a good voltage is o9n battery after sitting a few days. Some say 12.5 and others say 12.6. I have checked my battery and it is at 12.5. Should I be concerned with replacing it before summer hits. Bike starts but does seem a little slower to turn over before it fires. Just don't want to get stuck some where.

Thanks,KP

Fully charged battery should show 12.7V. Take your to your Harley dealer and have it load tested.

Just checked after bike sat for two days after charging. V at 12.8 Started up with meter on battery and looked like it droped to 10.5. At idle shows 14.5 v and at 2000 rpm shows 14 v. when I took it up to 3000 rpm volts droped to 12.85 alittle further at 4000 rpm it showed back to 14.5 volts. I am usually riding around 3000 rpm. Could there be some sort of flat spot where I am not getting a full charge in that rpm range ?

Thanks for the input all. Wondering also would I get a diagnostic fault showing if something was wrong ?
It is a 2004 fxdli

Wondering also would I get a diagnostic fault showing if something was wrong ?

I would not rely on a DTC for this type of problem. A code won't help you at all because it won't tell you exactly what is wrong. The closest diagram I have is for a 2003. If yours is similar,,
1) Replace that circuit breaker with a NEW one & make sure ring terminals are clean. Or better yet install a Maxi fuse instead of a new breaker.
2) Later models have a dedicated ground wire for the regulator. If yours is like the diagram (only 3 wires not 4), make absolutely sure the grounding of the regulator to frame is clean & tight. If you do have a 4 wire regulator, make sure the grounding wire is clean & tight.
3) Make sure connector 46A-46B is clean and tight.
4) Battery grounding cable to frame (#70103-96) must be clean & tight. Also check Battery positive stud on the starter is clean & tight.

If you still have similar voltage readings @ different RPM, cross check your meter with another meter.

Attachments

• 2003Dyna_Charge.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 8
Back