free website stats program Battery Exploded | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Exploded

Hi !
The identical thinhg happened to me!
Can anyone help please,I have some trouble with my custom fatsoo bobber.
I was ridding it when I heard a bang and my speedo went crazy..After i stop I checked the battery and saw it had a damage on the casing..like it blew a little..an it was soo hoot I could not touch it.The battery is inside the hidden oil compartment under the seat(like on every custom bike) which get veryyy hot due to the temperature of the oil.
Is this a regulator trouble or a oil high temperaute too close to the battery?
Has anyone any idea what happened and how to avoid it ...?
Ill recive a new battey today.
Sorry for my bad grammar I am from Europe.
Thanx a million.:worthy

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check the charging system right away. Check the self help section for instructions.

Hi !
The identical thinhg happened to me!
Can anyone help please,I have some trouble with my custom fatsoo bobber.
I was ridding it when I heard a bang and my speedo went crazy..After i stop I checked the battery and saw it had a damage on the casing..like it blew a little..an it was soo hoot I could not touch it.The battery is inside the hidden oil compartment under the seat(like on every custom bike) which get veryyy hot due to the temperature of the oil.
Is this a regulator trouble or a oil high temperaute too close to the battery?
Has anyone any idea what the hell happened and how to avoid it ...?
Ill recive a new battey today.
Sorry for my bad grammar I am from Europe.
Thanx a million.:worthy

Welcome to The Forum
Harley Davidson Forums Follow this link

Had a similar situation with my '82 FXR. The bottom of the seat pan grounded on the positive terminal and simply melted the negative terminal right down to the battery core. Same symptoms. Replaced the battery and made sure that it was centered in the battery box and then sorrounded it with rubber strips from an old inner tube. That was about two years ago and no problems since then.

Thax a million!!
Yesterday new battery came.Ive put it in and isolate well with anti -heat material,Turned all on check the speedo is good,tail light and head light bulb are wasted.Connected all and took some measurement.Regulator was overcharging it was showing up to 16.8,So..I guess it overcharged the battery and destroyed it.
Ive put an order for a new regulator,should come today,Ill install everything and test...and get back to you with the results.
Thanx again

Yup, over charging will kill a battery quick. Heat just deteriorates them so they don't last as long.

I deal with 12v systems all the time at work, along with mains voltages, along with stuff that can be quite scary.

I've messed around with 16 ah batteries on ~24v/5 amp, and they blow in about ~18 minutes depending on the condition of the plates and liquid. Of course I do this in a regulated environment with the known presence of danger and risk. Don't try this on your own unless you know what you are doing.

Your regulator/rectifier is bad. Same thing hapoened on my old fat boy. Blew my headlight bulb and smelled acid. Replace the battery and regulator you should be good to go. The regulator is built to charge the baterry and the excess is dissipated to ground. When the circuit goes bad it can stick closed allowing continuous charge. Bang goes the battery.

Back