free website stats program Bang from starter, FXSTC '07 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bang from starter, FXSTC '07

eleft36

The bang occurs the instant the engine fires. A recoil or slam can be felt throughout the bike. It seems like the bendix is disengaging with the impact of a sledge hammer.
This bike has all of 1900 miles.

It also surges at low speed, unrelated of course.

Thanks in advance for anyone's concern,

Al

Thanks Glider.

The bang is common, not to worry?
Will the dealer re-flash (recall) cure or help eliminate the surging. My '03 sportster was easily cured by rejeting the carb.

Al

Nothing short of a redesigning by the MOCO will fix the bang from the compensator.

The reflash may help with the surging but the TFI would do a better job being that the reflash is still lean too.

Does the TFI effect the 02 sensor operation?
Would there be a conflict in compensating the mixture?

Al

You can have it either way to keep the 02's or bypass them. I choose to bypass them for more control.
You can call George at Techlusion with the number on their page and he will tell you anything you want to ask.

Would there be a conflict in compensating the mixture?

Not sure what you mean here as far as conflict?

No down side as far as I am concerned if that's what you are asking.

You'll find many posts in the fuel injection forum of the self help forum, use the link below.

V
V
V
V
V

The first group of 07 bikes had a bad lot of clutch ring gear castings. The second time I started my 07 FLHX up the day I took it home, the ring gear lost 9 teeth. The only way to start it was to rock the bike in gear to get away from the broken teeth. It made a really loud bang then. It took me several months before I stopped worrying when I started it up. HD won't replace the bad castings until they break, there was never a recall about them either. Since you've gone this long it's a good bet your isn't one of them.
Good Luck!
Dave

Check with your dealer to see if the "torque smoothing" calibration has been done.It not only affects fueling but ignition timing as well.

Back