free website stats program Balancing Baffles? | Harley Davidson Forums

Balancing Baffles?

FerrousBueller

I bought a set of Slip-Ons from American Custom, I like the idea of upgraded pipes that look like the factory. I also got a set of the "Mid Rumble" baffles.
Without the baffles the pipes come with a "Deep Growl", that is a little louder than what I want. The Deep Growl also has a higher pitched note while at highway speeds that sounds like a dirt bike. The Mid Rumble is a little too tame in the volume department. Both configurations seem to offer better than stock performance. The "Interconnect Tube Assembly" has been left intact.

My questions are:
Does the Interconnect act as a crossover?
Will one cylinder have more back pressure than the other?
If I run one baffle will that cause the motor to run unbalanced, (one cylinder breaths better than the other)?

Thank You for your answers in advance and for staying with me and my long, drawn out post.

================================================

Opps, I forgot to mention this is for a 2009 Softail Custom.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cross over acts like a balance tube if you will to help with scavenging:s

The cross over acts like a balance tube if you will to help with scavenging:s

Jack, I was hoping you would have something to say! Your opinion means a great deal to me.
If the tube acts like a crossover, am I correct in thinking it might help relieve some back pressure too? In other words, will a crossover help equalize both positive AND negative pressure?

Dr. Dolittle, Thank You for combining my posts.

Jack, I was hoping you would have something to say! Your opinion means a great deal to me.
If the tube acts like a crossover, am I correct in thinking it might help relieve some back pressure too? In other words, will a crossover help equalize both positive AND negative pressure?

Dr. Dolittle, Thank You for combining my posts.

In a word YES:s This is one thing HD got right back in the EVO days IMO a big plus for exhaust

But you have to run both baffles so each pipe has same back pressure so cross-over tube works correctly.
wilks3

But you have to run both baffles so each pipe has same back pressure so cross-over tube works correctly.
wilks3

Alright then, it looks like I've got some tinkerin' to do. My biggest concerns are:
Performance, I want more!
Volume, I would prefer Quality before Quantity!

I have ideas, can I bore all of you with details?

You could drill another set of holes in the quieter baffle and see if that is what you like.
Just drill 2 or 3 holes each time and listen, might take a couple of times to get what you like.
wilks3

Ferrous - I have been looking for pipes myself and have considered the american customs product. glad to get a report as i would not like to buy and then be disappointed. Have also considered the Klock Works super saver slip-ons, Khrome Werks Kerker, and the Kuryakan Crushers. My Road King has plenty of power for me, but I want a distinct sound (deep bass) that turns heads but allows me to ride up front without killing the eardrums of those behind me. I do not quite understand the american custom product as they put a long baffle on the right side and a short baffle on the left side to get that mid-rumble.

What size are the baffles inside to gain HP. they need to be at lease 2" or they will only what the stock ones did !!!!!!!!

Back